SharkPreneurs organizers (from left): Gwen Willis (Key Realtors), David Cherry (Visibly Connected), and Devin Baker (CRA HOUSTON) present to Don Gaddy (Edward Jones), BizCom emcee. Photo by John Crone

Summer Creek BizCom, sponsored by the Lake Houston Chamber of Commerce, met Feb. 8 at the Golf Club of Houston.

Summer Creek High School Principal Brent McDonald presented an update on events related to the school.

He said, “The school will be back to one school and the students from Kingwood High School will return to their school after spring break.”

Also, the school is looking forward to April 17, which is the school’s signing day where 450 seniors report where they are going after high school, whether it be college, junior college, technical school or the military. Brian Ford was recognized for his many years of service as head football coach.

Reese McCall, head pro at the Golf Club of Houston, reported on the happenings at the club.

“One big focus now is the upcoming March 29-April 1 Houston Open,” he said. “The course has been reseeded over the winter and is being prepared now for the tournament. The field for the tournament is expected to be strong, similar to last year when six of the top 10 golfers participated.”

Dr. Elizabeth Fagen, superintendent of Humble ISD, updated the group on the work of the Citizens Bond Committee, which included 100 participants and met several times from September through December. The committee has held several meetings seeking input from the community.

The committee presented a list of possible projects to be completed by the district. Financing will come from bond refinancing and issuance. The projects will be built over a six-year period and will not result in any increase in tax rates. The cost of the projects totals $600 million. The school board will decide at the February board meeting whether to put the bond referendum on the ballot for the May 5 election.

Included in the future projects are a new Kingwood Middle School and a new Lakeland Elementary School, a future new middle and elementary school, and a bus transportation center.

John Crone
Author: John CroneEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
I have written a financial column for an Illinois community paper. I have worked in the financial business for most of my career. I am a CPA and was in charge of the trust and investment department of a community bank. I enjoy working with local businesses and community members to tell our readers about people and events in our area.