Brenda Jackson, right, vice-president of Shank Wealth Management, describes the WINGS Ministry philosophy to help marginalized women with Tracy Mahan, office manager and marketing assistant. Photo by Tom Broad

Sometimes it’s the customer who has the answer.

That’s what Brenda Jackson discovered when a longtime client and friend prodded her into attending a meeting of WINGS Ministry. Jackson is a vice-president at Shank Wealth Management in Kingwood.

WINGS Ministry is a faith-based, not-for-profit organization founded at the Harris County Jail six years ago to help “marginalized women” who have been or currently are in jail to transform from their old lives to new ones.

“My friend was so passionate about WINGS that I agreed to attend one of their meetings and actually attended a session at one of the halfway houses,” said Jackson.

Jackson saw sad and lost women getting hope from the first mentors they’d ever had.

“What I saw touched me and I wanted to be a part of it,” she said.

Jackson embraced WINGS Ministry and was recently named to their board of directors.

“The two founders of WINGS Ministry, Kate Callan and Kathy Wortham, changed careers to give their all to helping others. It made me want to give back through WINGS Ministry, too,” said Jackson.

Jackson has more than 40 years of diversified experience in teaching, business marketing and development, and owning her own company. She eventually found her way into the financial industry. Under the mentorship of Bill Shank, founder and president of Shank Wealth Management, she formed a financial team with Natalie Gaskamp and has found what she calls “…the most rewarding job ever.”

“We’re able to help clients, one family at a time, plan for and manage their wealth and retirement,” she said, “and we can help them plan a way to transfer that wealth to their families.”

Born and raised in Houston to whom she describes as “very Southern” parents and grandparents, Jackson grew up in Baytown and Galena Park. She is a graduate of Lee College where she was inducted into their Hall of Fame, is a graduate of Sam Houston State University, and has post-graduate classes under her belt from the University of Houston.

“I have a wonderful family consisting of an amazing daughter and son-in-law and the most adorable grandson ever,” she said.

It’s not a surprise that Jackson heard her client talking about WINGS Ministry.

Shank Wealth Management is centered around our ability to listen to our client and hear them, too,” Jackson said. “Just as important is the ability to focus on your customer, not on stocks or bonds or whatever you’re selling. There is nothing more important than to understand what your client wants and needs.”

It’s no surprise that Jackson would partner with an organization that works with marginalized women.

“WINGS Ministry equips women at risk with life and work skills, so they are more likely to succeed living independently and less likely to become victims of domestic and predator abuse and human sex trafficking,” she said.

She sets high expectations for herself.

“I do the best I can every day and when I fall, I brush myself off, evaluate the situation and get back on the horse,” she said.

Obviously, her favorite longtime hobby and passion is riding horses.

“My new grandson gets a lot of my attention,” she said, “but I still try to ride a couple times each week.”

Focusing on the management of other people’s money is center to Jackson and the Shank team, but supporting their neighbors is essential, too, said Jackson.

“We’re involved with Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo scholarships, Cal Farley Boys and Girls Club, The Shriners, the Veterans of Foreign Wars, the ASPCA, Mothers Against Cancer, the Be An Angel Foundation, and now WINGS Ministry,” she said.

For more information about WINGS Ministries, visit wingstofreedom.net.

For more information about the services Jackson and Shank Wealth Management can offer, visit shankwm.com.

Tom Broad
Author: Tom BroadEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Columnist
Besides being a proud graduate of The University of Nebraska-Lincoln and, therefore, a Cornhusker, I am retired from Memorial Hermann. I am a correspondent and columnist for Lake Houston's hometown paper, The Tribune, as well as a director of the Lake Houston Redevelopment Corporation, a member of the board of the Humble Area Assistance Ministries, and Volunteer Extraordinaire for the Lake Houston Area Chamber.