By next year at this time, area residents will be enjoying the new 20-acre Atascocita Park, which will be located on the east side of W. Lake Houston Pkwy. just south of Will Clayton Pkwy. Construction of the new park is expected to be completed in the third quarter of 2019.

Kyle Kelley, parks director for Harris County Precinct 2, said that plans for the new park include a 1.5-acre dog park, a pond, boardwalk and an 11,000-square-foot play area. Kelley said there is currently some construction activity on the property related to park development and it is anticipated activity will steadily increase in the coming weeks.

Kelley said plans for the park include a natural 2.5-acre pond, which will have a boardwalk that traverses the pond. The park will also include a social node, elevated tree deck and nature labyrinth.

Kelley said, “A social node is a place for social development for kids and adults to interact and have fun. The tree deck will be built amongst the trees to offer a slightly elevated view of the play area. The nature labyrinth is a play area designed for kids to wander amongst multiple play stations and various natural areas to develop their sense of wonder and to have fun. The park was developed with nature being the central theme … so a great deal of the play features will have a natural feel to them.”

The park’s new 11,000-square-foot play area will include several unique features such as seat excavators, a play scape, spinner bowls, a Super Nova spinner and several other play items.

“One of the most unique features of the play area is the net tower Sky Walk, which has a netted crossover between two elevated towers with a long tube slide which will bring the participant back to ground level,” said Kelley.

The dog park will have separate areas for small and large dogs to run and play.

“Both sides of the dog park will have a small aggregate trail circling them, room for the dogs to roam off leash, and a small seating area for owners to rest. We are hoping the new park will give area park visitors a place to stretch out and have a little fun,” said Kelley.

The land for the park was purchased by Precinct 2 for approximately $4.4 million. Construction of the park is estimated to cost around $4 million and will be completed by the construction firm Landscape Art. Kelley said the limited amount of public park space in the rapidly developing Atascocita area led to the discussion to build the new Atascocita Park.

“The search for property for the park began several years ago. The location for the new park was one of the last remaining decent-sized parcels of land in the area that was not purchased by developers,” he said.

Kelley said the development of the park configuration and features came about using the natural landscape of the new park’s land, which has a natural pond and beautiful trees which are difficult to find in the area.

Susan McFarland
Author: Susan McFarlandEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Columnist
I am a northerner by birth, but got to Texas as quick as I could more than a dozen years ago. I am very curious by nature and love peppering people with questions for Tribune stories. In my spare time I sell real estate, write my travel blog, and hang out with my family and my adorable Boston Terrier, Charlie. I cover local businesses, special interest topics, and area events.