It was to be an exciting Christmas in 2011. My daughter Dawn and I were invited to spend it in Las Vegas with my son Allen, his family and his in-laws, Sue and George. Dawn and I looked forward to the opportunity and made preparations to drive from our home in Humble to Vegas.
The weeks before our departure were hectic. We each had our own to-do list to complete before departing for Las Vegas. In addition, there was the telephone call from Allen telling us that he had requested a package to be delivered to our house. Since it did not arrive at his home before he and his family left on a trip, he felt sure it would arrive at our house before our later departure date.
The package had not arrived by the time we loaded our luggage and Christmas gifts into the van. We waited a while longer to see if the package would show up; it did not. After driving a few miles, we stopped at a bank to withdraw some cash. With the idea that we were still close enough to home to return for the package, I called a friend and asked him to check the entrance to our house for the delivery; there was no reply. We made the assumption that the package was not delivered and continued on the trip without the anticipated parcel.
We arrived in Las Vegas on Christmas Eve. After greeting everyone, they asked if we wanted to see a Christmas light display in a small town nearby. We agreed and arrangements were made for the eight of us to ride in two vehicles. The missing package wasn’t mentioned since we had informed Allen during a telephone conversation that we did not have the box. At the end of our walk through the beautiful, inspiring light display, we again divided into two groups for the return trip to the condos. This time one group just wanted to get to a place to rest, and the other group was to shop for the last-minute needs for breakfast and dinner on Christmas Day as well as last-minute gifts.
Christmas Day began with a leisurely breakfast in one condo. After breakfast, we all gathered around the small Christmas tree and fireplace in the second condo. First on the agenda was discovering the contents of our stockings. Each person examined the candy, nuts and small gifts while searching for an orange in the toe of the stocking. Next, we began opening gifts – one at a time. I pulled a box out of a gift bag and exclaimed, “A Nook; thank you! I wanted a Nook.”
I didn’t think anything about it when my daughter-in-law Nicola stopped me as I was about to open the box. She said, “Don’t open it yet. Let me see it.” I handed the box to her and continued to open other gifts.
In a few minutes, my granddaughter Victoria pulled a box from a gift bag and shouted, “A Nook! Thank you. I had asked for one.”
Again, no one noticed when her mother said, “Don’t open the box. Let me see it for a minute.” Victoria gave the box to her mother and we all continued opening gifts.
It wasn’t long until Nicola’s mother Sue opened a gift bag and said, “A Nook. Just what I wanted.”
It was then that Nicola said, “Okay, Mom, you can open the box and take the Nook with you to Colorado. Sammie and Cassie (Sue’s teenage granddaughters) can show you how to use it. Julia and Victoria, your Nooks are at Tonya’s house in Kingwood. When you get home, Julia, you can get the box from Tonya who went to your house and retrieved the package from your front door. I didn’t want the package to stay at the front door for a week, so I called Tonya and asked her to get it if it had been delivered. When you get the package, Julia, you can get your Nook and mail Victoria’s to her.”
We all laughed and were astonished at Nicola’s ability to turn one Nook into three gifts without any of us becoming aware of her creative gifting. Sue enjoyed using her Nook during the remaining days of our visit, and Victoria and I looked forward to the day we would have our own Nooks which were in the package that had not been delivered before Dawn and I left home.
It was a very Merry Christmas in Las Vegas. An unexpected gift was the incredible story of how Nicola managed to use one Nook as three gifts.

Julia Nation grew up in the Humble area and taught for more than 30 years. Email comments to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Julia Nation
Author: Julia NationEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Julia Nation grew up in the Humble area and taught for more than 30 years. Email comments to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..