HAAM executive director Millie Garrison, left, and Trilla Cook, creator of Sneakerdoodles, are happy to unload some of the first donations of new sneakers for Sneakerdoodles 2019.

It’s not a cookie!

Sneakerdoodles is a project of Humble Area Assistance Ministries (HAAM) that was created by Trilla Cook in 2017. The idea is to help kids in need of all grade levels get “new” back-to-school sneakers before school starts. The program’s motto is “So No Foot is Left Behind.”

Cook is retired from Humble ISD and is well aware of the needs that exist in the Lake Houston area. Having seen firsthand the inequities for some students, in particular those at the Title I schools, she realized that the community could be proactive in a way that would help with first-day-of-school necessities, the same as HAAM’s Back-To-School supplies drive.

– Sneakerdoodles is off to running start –

“The needs are very real in areas of our communities,” Cook said. “I come from a very large family that grew up just making ends meet, so new shoes were hard to come by. If this drive helps families who are struggling to get food on the table by providing new sneakers for their kids’ first day of school, then we’ve reached our goal. I feel blessed that I can now give back and know how much it’s appreciated. The generosity around us is very inspiring, indeed!”

The Humble Area Retired Teachers Association (HARTA) collected new sneakers at its most recent meeting in May and organizations throughout this area are invited to join them in the new sneakers drive to get students off to a good start on the first day of school.

While 477 pairs of new sneakers were donated to HAAM’s new Sneakerdoodles Program in 2017, 682 pairs were donated and given to families in August of 2018. Each year the goal is to surpass the new sneaker donations of the year before until all struggling families with school kids have been served.

“HAAM has been serving the community for 29 years, and we are passionate about our mission to help families in crisis,” said HAAM Executive Director Millie Garrison. “These families may not be able to meet the immediate needs of their students as they prepare to return to school in the fall, and Sneakerdoodles is a blessing for them.”

Garrison said that Sneakerdoodles has been a wonderful new project component that adds to HAAM’s Back to School program, which provides school supplies (and now also new sneakers) to close to 1,200 local students in the Lake Houston area.

New sneakers donations can be dropped off at HAAM Social Services, 1302 First Street in Humble, from now through the middle of August.

When making donations, it is important that they be tagged for “Sneakerdoodles.” Please contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. to help or to request that donations be picked up for delivery.

For more information about HAAM and its many supportive programs helping Lake Houston area families, visit haamministries.org.