Tatchin

A recent graduate of Quest Early College High School, David Tatchin, has joined The Tribune staff for the summer as an intern. He loves the process of writing as well as the complexities of the English language.

Tatchin was named salutatorian of Quest’s graduating class with a GPA of 5.4 while simultaneously earning his associate of arts degree from Lone Star College (LSC)-Kingwood, no small accomplishment. In the fall, he will attend the C.T. Bauer College of Business and Honors College at the University of Houston while seeking a bachelor of business degree. He hopes to “pursue a higher degree, likely either data analytics or a master of business administration,” eventually becoming a businessman/politician later in life. Two of his passions are politics and English.

Tatchin, originally from Philadelphia, moved to the Atascocita area seven years ago. His parents immigrated from Ukraine and his first language was Ukrainian, but he likes to write in English because, “despite it being a universal language, the amalgamation of different linguistic origins for countless words makes it rather interesting to master.”

Tatchin received many honors and awards while attending Quest and LSC. He made the Presidential Honor Roll/Dean’s List at LSC, received the Scholar Letter at Quest, won the Exceptional Award in English 2 (pre-AP) in 10th grade, won an Humble ISD Academic Excellence Award in 12th grade, and is proud to have received the Humble ISD Council of PTAs’ Scholarship for Outstanding Service as a senior at Quest. He was also a member of the National Honor Society and the Mu Alpha Theta Honor Society.

Tatchin has also been heavily involved in community service, beginning in the 9th grade when he assisted with early disabled childhood education at Maple Brook Elementary. He has also helped restore the Tetter and Williams cemeteries and volunteered at Jesse Jones Park and at Ross Sterling Middle School, working with special education and as an assistant to organize the Hispanic Heritage Month Fiesta.

As if that wasn’t enough, he worked for Humble ISD as an AVID tutor and most recently as a community development intern, where he assisted in establishing connections between the Humble ISD Foundation and local businesses.

Tatchin will intern through August.

Sarah Mertins
Author: Sarah MertinsEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Managing Editor
I grew up on a farm in New Mexico and miss eating hot chile and having four seasons. I didn't start college until I was already a mother and double majored in English and anthropology. I received an Honors B.A. from the University of Louisiana-Lafayette and was named “Outstanding Student” in English. My honors thesis is titled “The Enduring and Ever-Changing Legend of La Llorona.” I worked as a police reporter for a bit before staying home in Kingwood to raise my two daughters. My hobbies include reading, gardening, cooking and traveling.