After struggling down the stretch, losing their last three games and five of six overall to end up in a tie for a playoff spot, the Humble Wildcats baseball team needed to bounce back.

Because when they took the field Saturday for a one-game playoff against the Porter Spartans in Crosby, it was either survive and advance, or see the season come to an end.

Fortunately for the Wildcats, they had Avery Sheldon, who had been successful against Porter before. And on Saturday afternoon, he was once again.

This time, his complete game, one-hit shutout lifted the Wildcats to a 3-0 win, which secured the program’s first playoff berth since 2012.

Sheldon had defeated Porter before; in fact, this was his second complete game against the Spartans in eight days as he threw a complete game four-hit shutout in a 2-0 win the first time.

Meanwhile, Humble’s offense, including Sheldon himself, provided him with just enough offense.

The Wildcats had a 1-0 lead after three; then, in the fourth, Alex Caballero tagged a solo home run to add some insurance; then Sheldon himself provided the third run with an RBI double in the fifth.

The Wildcats will next face the Port Neches-Groves Indians, the champions of District 22-5A. In fact, the Indians went through 22-5A undefeated.

That series will start Friday at PN-G, and will conclude with one and possibly two games Saturday at Humble.

With their win, the Wildcats ensured that all five Humble ISD baseball programs would be in the playoffs. Elsewhere in 21-5A, the Kingwood Park Panthers, who finished third, will face Lumberton in a one-game round Friday night in Lumberton.

And in 21-6A, Atascocita, Kingwood and Summer Creek are all in as well. The Mustangs, who captured the 21-6A title, face Pasadena Dobie in a best-of-three, while Atascocita, who finished third, draws La Porte. And Summer Creek, who captured the last spot, faces Deer Park to open the playoffs.

Before you go …

… we’ve got a small favor to ask. More people are reading The Tribune than ever. Advertising revenues across the media  spectrum are falling fast. And unlike many news organizations, we haven’t put up a paywall – we want to keep our journalism as open as we can. So you can see why we need to ask for your help. The Tribune's independent, investigative journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe our perspective matters – because it might well be your perspective, too. If everyone who reads our reporting, who likes it, helps to support it, our future would be much more secure. Support the only locally owned, locally produced news product in the Lake Houston area.  And thank you!

Erich Eisenach
Author: Erich EisenachEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
I am proud to be this area’s Tribune Newspaper voice for Humble, Atascocita, Kingwood, Kingwood Park and Summer Creek High School athletics, a capacity I have served in since the fall of 2011. High school sports are something I have grown to love since I started in this position, watching young kids live out their dreams in competition throughout the area and throughout the state. My greatest thrill in this position was being on Floor Eight at NRG Stadium in December of 2016 when Atascocita High School qualified for the state football semifinals for the first time. Aside from reporting sports, I am a regular parishioner of St. Martha Catholic Church of Kingwood. I am also a two-time graduate of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s College of Journalism and Mass Communications, and am a proud, but realistic, Nebraska Cornhuskers supporter. I do root for Houston’s local sports teams, but the Huskers are my team forever.