Atascocita Lacrosse is a starter club team but their team is a force to be reckoned with.

In spring of 2014 several Atascocita High School students started Atascocita Lax, a club lacrosse team for Atascocita High School students. The club started with about 15 students. Since then the club has started a middle school team, hired a new lacrosse coach and has tripled in size. Currently the students are ranked number one in Texas high school Division 3 district. Currently the teams are 11-3 overall and 5-0 in District and the middle school team is currently undefeated.

“This game takes a lot of effort, time and teamwork,” Taylor Brooks, Program Coordinator, said. “Games are becoming more and more competitive within our division, but our boys are hungry.”

Brooks might be new to Atascocita Lacrosse but he is well known on the lacrosse scene. He comes to Atascocita with an extensive playing and coaching experience. He previously coached Division I lacrosse at Sam Houston, both middle and high school teams and he was the first Texas player to score in a NCAA Championship game. Recently Brooks was notified that he made the Denver Outlaws pre-season roster. Since August, Brooks has seen a big change in the players and he is confident that the teams are well on their way to moving up to Division 2.

Currently program consists of students from Atascocita High School, Summer Creek High School, Atascocita Middle School, Timberwood Middle School and Woodcreek Middle School. The success of the middle school team has encouraged the organization to add an elementary team this summer.

“I’ve seen a major change in my player’s attitudes since the beginning of the school year,” Brooks said. “Several of our high school players have stepped up to be leaders and I am confident that these students will have a great influence on the younger players.”

Lacrosse is a year round sport and is one of the fastest growing sports in the U.S., specifically gaining popularity in the south. In the fall the players are practicing three times a week for indoor lacrosse scrimmages and tournaments. In the spring season the teams practice five times a week, Monday through Friday. When the players are not practicing or playing the quick feet game, they are volunteering. Atascocita Lacrosse members volunteer to read at Oak Forest Elementary for their Reading Buddies program.

Atascocita Lacrosse is a nonprofit organization serving boys in grades 6-12 living within the Atascocita area. Their programs focus on teaching team building, good sportsmanship and fundamental skill development. They hope students participating in Atascocita Lacrosse will create a love and passion for the sport of lacrosse.

For more information about Atascocita Lacrosse please visit, atascolax.com.

Before you go …

… we’ve got a small favor to ask. More people are reading The Tribune than ever. Advertising revenues across the media  spectrum are falling fast. And unlike many news organizations, we haven’t put up a paywall – we want to keep our journalism as open as we can. So you can see why we need to ask for your help. The Tribune's independent, investigative journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe our perspective matters – because it might well be your perspective, too. If everyone who reads our reporting, who likes it, helps to support it, our future would be much more secure. Support the only locally owned, locally produced news product in the Lake Houston area.  And thank you!

Bryan Kimbro
Author: Bryan KimbroEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
I am a sixth-generation Texan and lifelong Houstonian. I have held various positions at The Tribune since beginning in 2009. I am currently pursuing my master's degree in professional writing at the University of Houston.