Though the Humble Wildcats baseball team hasn’t clinched a playoff spot yet, with two games to play in District 21-5A’s regular season, they remain in the driver’s seat to get to the playoffs.

After a 2-0 win in Porter on Friday, Apr. 21, which was keyed by a complete game effort from Avery Sheldon, the Wildcats had a chance to clinch a playoff spot the next day at home.

However, with their playoff hopes at stake, Porter delayed Humble’s playoff plans temporarily with a 10-2 win, which leaves the Wildcats at 9-6 in district play and still needing one win in their final two games to clinch a playoff spot.

Desperately needing a win, Porter jumped on Wildcat starter Anthony Villareal early. Tyler Crochet drove in a run with a single, Patrick Hine drove in a run with a fielder’s choice and Porter added another run on an error for a 3-0 lead in the first inning.

Eventually that lead would balloon to 9-0 by the fourth inning, essentially putting the game out of reach; meanwhile, Porter starter Cole Godkin also did his part to keep the Spartans alive.

He limited the Wildcats offense to just six hits and a run before departing the game in the sixth inning. Adrian Rodriguez and Drew Large came in to get the last six outs to finish the game.

The Wildcats, still needing that final win to get into the playoffs, finish their regular season with two games against Crosby while Porter, their biggest challengers for that final playoff spot, meet New Caney twice. Any Wildcats win or Porters loss puts the Wildcats in the playoffs.

The Kingwood Park Panthers, meanwhile, clinched their return to the playoffs; they did so by extending their win streak to seven with a pair of wins over Baytown Lee, 10-0 and 7-0. In that seven game win streak, the Panthers have outscored their opponents 54-6.

Before you go …

… we’ve got a small favor to ask. More people are reading The Tribune than ever. Advertising revenues across the media  spectrum are falling fast. And unlike many news organizations, we haven’t put up a paywall – we want to keep our journalism as open as we can. So you can see why we need to ask for your help. The Tribune's independent, investigative journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe our perspective matters – because it might well be your perspective, too. If everyone who reads our reporting, who likes it, helps to support it, our future would be much more secure. Support the only locally owned, locally produced news product in the Lake Houston area.  And thank you!

Bryan Kimbro
Author: Bryan KimbroEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
I am a sixth-generation Texan and lifelong Houstonian. I have held various positions at The Tribune since beginning in 2009. I am currently pursuing my master's degree in professional writing at the University of Houston.