Hurricane Harvey, which caused devastation throughout the Houston area last week, has come and gone, and now people have begun to pick up the pieces.

Part of that effort to begin to put lives back together involves getting back to business as usual, which is what Humble ISD, and more specifically, Humble ISD Athletics, is doing this week.

According to Humble ISD Athletic Director Troy Kite, practice for all fall sports resumed this week, while games will resume next week.

However, Humble ISD athletics, notably football, will see changes both on the field with schedules, and in some cases off the field as well, concerning where some students will attend school this year.
For many coaches around the area, at the moment they feel fortunate to just have a chance to resume athletic competitions, as Humble football coach Charles West is.
“When I walked out there and I saw the kids’ faces, and the excitement of the kids, just them coming back into the field house, that was just a special moment,” West said.
West also said he didn’t talk a lot about football with his team; it was more about everyone being safe and what they could do to help.
According to West, Humble’s opener against Katy Tompkins was canceled, but they will scrimmage Huffman Hargrave this week before heading into district play, which begins Sept. 15 with Caney Creek at home.
The aftermath of Harvey, though, has left some schools in a tough spot, with the only option being able to make do with what they have.
One such example is Kingwood High School. Because of the flood damage inflicted by Harvey, the school is closed for the entire year and the students will attend Summer Creek High School.
“It’s really just one of those things that, you know, there’s really not a lot of options,” Summer Creek Football Head Coach Brian Ford said. “It’s not a good situation, but obviously it’s out of everybody’s control and the only thing we can do is make the best of the situation, so that’s what we’re doing as a district and a school.”
For this year, Bulldog students will have morning class schedules and the Mustangs will attend afternoon classes.
On the field, as far as schedule, the temporary plan for the Mustangs was to start practice Sept. 5, with their scrimmage being Fort Bend Austin this coming Friday before the season begins.
Meanwhile, the Bulldogs schedule is largely intact, only losing one game which was their opener. They will begin their season Sept. 15 against Pearland Dawson.
Atascocita, meanwhile, is also going through some schedule changes, according to football coach Craig Stump. They will scrimmage Spring Dekaney this week, then head into their regular season schedule. Stump also said he is trying to find an opponent for the week after because Atascocita has an off week scheduled then.

Since you’re here …

… we’ve got a small favor to ask. More people are reading The Tribune than ever. Advertising revenues across the media  spectrum are falling fast. And unlike many news organizations, we haven’t put up a paywall – we want to keep our journalism as open as we can. So you can see why we need to ask for your help. The Tribune's independent, investigative journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe our perspective matters – because it might well be your perspective, too. If everyone who reads our reporting, who likes it, helps to support it, our future would be much more secure. Support the only locally owned, locally produced news product in the Lake Houston area.  And thank you!

Erich Eisenach
Author: Erich EisenachEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
I am proud to be this area’s Tribune Newspaper voice for Humble, Atascocita, Kingwood, Kingwood Park and Summer Creek High School athletics, a capacity I have served in since the fall of 2011. High school sports are something I have grown to love since I started in this position, watching young kids live out their dreams in competition throughout the area and throughout the state. My greatest thrill in this position was being on Floor Eight at NRG Stadium in December of 2016 when Atascocita High School qualified for the state football semifinals for the first time. Aside from reporting sports, I am a regular parishioner of St. Martha Catholic Church of Kingwood. I am also a two-time graduate of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s College of Journalism and Mass Communications, and am a proud, but realistic, Nebraska Cornhuskers supporter. I do root for Houston’s local sports teams, but the Huskers are my team forever.