After a few seasons away from the Texas high school football playoffs, a late surge and a little bit of help put the Kingwood Park Panthers back in the playoff mix for the first time since 2014.

The Panthers beat the Humble Wildcats 31-17, and thanks to a 10-7 win by Porter over Barbers Hill, the Panthers advance to Texas high school football’s second season.

Early in the game, the Panthers got off to a slow start, and the Wildcats took advantage. After an interception deep in their own end, the Wildcats capped the ensuing drive with a 25-yard touchdown pass from Chase Pena to Andrew Tisdale.

But, in the second quarter, the Panthers woke up with two quick scores; first, Daniel Breskow scored from 2 yards out to tie the game after a key defensive stand.

Moments later, Park recovered a fumble on a bad snap and Desmond Benjamin scored from 2 yards out.

After Humble kicked a field goal to cut the Park lead to 14-10 at halftime, the Panthers put the game out of reach with a strong third quarter. In that quarter, the Panthers got touchdown runs from Sam Johansen and Immanuel McElroy, plus a field goal, for a 31-10 lead.

Tisdale scored one more touchdown catch for the Wildcats but late in the fourth, Johansen picked off Pena, sealing the win. Moments later, the announcement that Porter had beaten Barbers Hill set off a celebration on the Park side of the field.

The Panthers playoff run begins on Friday night in New Caney against Port Arthur Memorial of 22-5A, who finished 7-1. Meanwhile, Humble finishes its season 1-7.

ATASCOCITA
The Eagles clinched the outright 21-6A district championship with a 71-0 blanking of Goose Creek Memorial Friday. They open the playoffs versus Pasadena Memorial Friday night at Turner Stadium.

SUMMER CREEK
After falling to North Shore 34-7 Thursday night, the Bulldogs begin the playoffs Saturday against La Porte at Turner Stadium.

Erich Eisenach
Author: Erich EisenachEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
I am proud to be this area’s Tribune Newspaper voice for Humble, Atascocita, Kingwood, Kingwood Park and Summer Creek High School athletics, a capacity I have served in since the fall of 2011. High school sports are something I have grown to love since I started in this position, watching young kids live out their dreams in competition throughout the area and throughout the state. My greatest thrill in this position was being on Floor Eight at NRG Stadium in December of 2016 when Atascocita High School qualified for the state football semifinals for the first time. Aside from reporting sports, I am a regular parishioner of St. Martha Catholic Church of Kingwood. I am also a two-time graduate of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s College of Journalism and Mass Communications, and am a proud, but realistic, Nebraska Cornhuskers supporter. I do root for Houston’s local sports teams, but the Huskers are my team forever.