Nursing a tenuous one-game lead in District 21-5A heading into this week, the Humble Wildcats came into last Tuesday night’s showdown with Crosby facing their biggest week of the season.

Now, they are outright District 21-5A champions.

Against the visiting Crosby Cougars last Tuesday night, the Wildcats looked to clinch a share of the district title with a win, and through the first half, it looked like much the same game that it was in Crosby where Humble won easily.

Humble led by as many as 20 early in the third quarter, and the game, and moving one step closer to the district title, seemed well in hand.

But thanks to four players in double figures, who were led by Shemar Johnson with 19, the Cougars chopped away at the lead throughout the second half.

They cut it down to as few as 10 in the third, and then, led by Johnson’s nine fourth-quarter points, the Cougars cut the lead all the way down to two with seconds remaining, with a chance to tie or win in the final moments.

But Latrell Hill made the play of the game for Humble; his steal and subsequent two free throws in the dying seconds put the game away as the Wildcats beat the Cougars 64-60.

Against the Kingwood Park Panthers last Friday night, the Wildcats had a chance to claim the outright championship.

Though Kingwood Park never led in the game, they hung close throughout, and in fact, the game was tied in the closing moments until Humble’s Hill made two free throws which made the difference in a 52-50 Humble win that sealed the outright district title.

ATASCOCITA
The Eagles kept on track for another outright district title with a tight, 75-68 win over Goose Creek Memorial and a decisive 73-35 win over Kingwood. The Eagles lead North Shore by one game with one to go.

This week Humble closes its regular season Tuesday at Caney Creek while Atascocita can clinch an outright 21-6A championship Tuesday at Channelview.

Erich Eisenach
Author: Erich EisenachEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
I am proud to be this area’s Tribune Newspaper voice for Humble, Atascocita, Kingwood, Kingwood Park and Summer Creek High School athletics, a capacity I have served in since the fall of 2011. High school sports are something I have grown to love since I started in this position, watching young kids live out their dreams in competition throughout the area and throughout the state. My greatest thrill in this position was being on Floor Eight at NRG Stadium in December of 2016 when Atascocita High School qualified for the state football semifinals for the first time. Aside from reporting sports, I am a regular parishioner of St. Martha Catholic Church of Kingwood. I am also a two-time graduate of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s College of Journalism and Mass Communications, and am a proud, but realistic, Nebraska Cornhuskers supporter. I do root for Houston’s local sports teams, but the Huskers are my team forever.