On the same night that Atascocita Eagles softball made school history by winning their first ever state championship, Kingwood Park Panthers baseball made some history of their own.

By beating Tomball Memorial Saturday night at Texas A&M, the Panthers made history by qualifying for the state tournament for the very first time ever.

The Panthers, who defeated Vidor, Milby, Santa Fe in an emotional series, and Georgetown to get to this point, found themselves with their backs against the wall after the first game, as was the case against Georgetown.

This time, it was due to Tomball Memorial senior John Chomko, who tossed a six-inning, five-hit, 12-strikeout game.

Meanwhile, Memorial scored four runs in the span of three early innings and they cruised to a 4-0 win.

The second game on Friday, however, was much different. This time, it was the Panthers racing to the early lead as five different Panthers drove in runs that night.

Senior pitchers Daniel Bresko and Lee Callison, meanwhile, combined to allow Memorial just two runs as the Panthers won 6-2 to set up one final game.

In the decisive game, it was Park center fielder Bryson Jackson who struck the big blow; it was a three-run shot which was Park’s first - and biggest - hit of the night.

It gave the Panthers a lead they never relinquished.

Meanwhile, Chase Ferem and Bresko (for the second straight game) kept Memorial at bay as the Panthers won 5-3 to punch their ticket to Dell Diamond in Round Rock.

In the state semifinal Thursday, the Panthers will meet Eaton, who had an impressive playoff run through Region I with only one loss. They qualified for the state semis by beating Amarillo in a decisive third game.

Erich Eisenach
Author: Erich EisenachEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
I am proud to be this area’s Tribune Newspaper voice for Humble, Atascocita, Kingwood, Kingwood Park and Summer Creek High School athletics, a capacity I have served in since the fall of 2011. High school sports are something I have grown to love since I started in this position, watching young kids live out their dreams in competition throughout the area and throughout the state. My greatest thrill in this position was being on Floor Eight at NRG Stadium in December of 2016 when Atascocita High School qualified for the state football semifinals for the first time. Aside from reporting sports, I am a regular parishioner of St. Martha Catholic Church of Kingwood. I am also a two-time graduate of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s College of Journalism and Mass Communications, and am a proud, but realistic, Nebraska Cornhuskers supporter. I do root for Houston’s local sports teams, but the Huskers are my team forever.