Though it’s the middle of another long, hot summer, the 2018 Texas high school football season is fast approaching, and as such, the 2018 version of Dave Campbell’s Texas Football is now on newsstands.

One of the most notable things about the 2018 season is it is a realignment season; new districts with new, and in some cases, very old, opponents.

With the new realignment also comes the renewal of Kingwood vs. Humble on an annual basis.

Those two teams, along with Atascocita and Summer Creek, are in District 22-6A this year, which Campbell favors Atascocita to win.

The Eagles will enter the year as one of the youngest teams in the district, with 15 lettermen and just seven starters returning.

The magazine highlights the quarterback battle as something to watch, with the two top competitors being Ethan Garrow and Brice Matthews.

Kingwood and Summer Creek are projected to finish second and third in the district, respectively.

The Mustangs return significantly more experienced starters wise, 14 in all (17 lettermen) from their regional semifinal team a year ago, while the Bulldogs return nine starters and 24 lettermen from their area finalist team.

The magazine also picks Humble seventh in the district, and projects that the Wildcats will lean on all-district running back Isaiah Robinson a lot this season.

The new realignment landed the Kingwood Park Panthers in District 9-5A. In that new district, the Panthers are projected as a playoff team.

They are picked fourth behind Houston Austin, old district neighbor New Caney, and the projected district champ, Port Arthur Memorial, who beat the Panthers in the playoffs a year ago. The Panthers return nine starters (six on defense) and 16 lettermen.

In District 11-4A, the Huffman Hargrave Falcons, who return 11 starters and 17 lettermen, are picked second behind Lumberton.

Erich Eisenach
Author: Erich EisenachEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
I am proud to be this area’s Tribune Newspaper voice for Humble, Atascocita, Kingwood, Kingwood Park and Summer Creek High School athletics, a capacity I have served in since the fall of 2011. High school sports are something I have grown to love since I started in this position, watching young kids live out their dreams in competition throughout the area and throughout the state. My greatest thrill in this position was being on Floor Eight at NRG Stadium in December of 2016 when Atascocita High School qualified for the state football semifinals for the first time. Aside from reporting sports, I am a regular parishioner of St. Martha Catholic Church of Kingwood. I am also a two-time graduate of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s College of Journalism and Mass Communications, and am a proud, but realistic, Nebraska Cornhuskers supporter. I do root for Houston’s local sports teams, but the Huskers are my team forever.