After playing in two tough tournaments to begin the season, the Kingwood Park Panthers volleyball team is now seeing the early season tough competition pay off.

Thus, they have taken control of District 20-5A with an unbeaten district run to this point.

Their biggest match of this week was Tuesday night against Willis, their closest competitor standings wise.

In their most important match of the season to this point, the Panthers took control early, winning the first set 25-10. However, the Wildkats responded in the second set; though hard fought, the Wildkats prevailed, 25-22.

On Friday night against Huntsville, the Panthers kept the good times rolling. It was a match that Huntsville led exactly one time, 1-0 at the very beginning of the first set.

After that, the Panthers rolled off six straight points. Their largest lead of the first set was nine points, twice, at 19-10 and the final of the first set, 25-16.

The second set was more of the same, with the Panthers scoring the first eight points of the second set. Huntsville tried to respond, coming back within two points, but after that, the Panthers regained the momentum with an 11-4 burst, on the way to a 25-19 second set win.

The third set, though close, was also controlled by the Panthers.

They scored the first four points of the third set, and though the Hornets responded to tie the third set at 13, K-Park responded with a 9-3 burst, capped off by a pair of aces, to essentially put the match away. They won the third set 25-21.

Erich Eisenach
Author: Erich EisenachEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
I am proud to be this area’s Tribune Newspaper voice for Humble, Atascocita, Kingwood, Kingwood Park and Summer Creek High School athletics, a capacity I have served in since the fall of 2011. High school sports are something I have grown to love since I started in this position, watching young kids live out their dreams in competition throughout the area and throughout the state. My greatest thrill in this position was being on Floor Eight at NRG Stadium in December of 2016 when Atascocita High School qualified for the state football semifinals for the first time. Aside from reporting sports, I am a regular parishioner of St. Martha Catholic Church of Kingwood. I am also a two-time graduate of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s College of Journalism and Mass Communications, and am a proud, but realistic, Nebraska Cornhuskers supporter. I do root for Houston’s local sports teams, but the Huskers are my team forever.