The Kingwood Park Panthers football team improved its record to 2-2 and 1-1 in District 9-5A-I with a comeback win over the Porter Spartans Saturday night at Turner Stadium.

The Panthers overcame two 17-point deficits to beat Porter 28-27.

Porter jumped out to an early lead after Spartan quarterback Zane Russell Porter connected with Baron Bradley for a 10-yard touchdown pass.

Kicker Jose Acosta added three extra points at the beginning of the second quarter with a 39-yard field goal to extend Porter’s lead 10-0. The Spartans further widened the deficit behind a 27-yard rushing touchdown by Russell six minutes into the second quarter.

The Panthers would get on the board with an 11-yard rushing touchdown by Dalton Roger just before halftime.

With under a minute to play in the game, Kingwood Park quarterback Sam Johansen tied the game 27-27 with a 1-yard rushing touchdown and the Panthers won 28-27 following a successful PAT.

Next up, Kingwood Park has a road game against the Wisdom Generals Friday, Oct. 5.

Bryan Kimbro
Author: Bryan KimbroEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
I am a sixth-generation Texan and lifelong Houstonian. I have held various positions at The Tribune since beginning in 2009. I am currently pursuing my master's degree in professional writing at the University of Houston.