On Oct. 26, Atascocita and Summer Creek played a classic 22-6A matchup at Turner Stadium, a game that was decided by a point – and a kick.

Atascocita won the game, and the district, but since then, neither team has lost and both teams are now off to the regional semifinals.

The Eagles return to the regional semifinals for the fourth year in a row with their patented high-powered offense, which has been on full display in their two playoff wins.

Against Channelview, the Eagles offense shredded the Falcons for 71 points. And against Alief Hastings Saturday at NRG Stadium, they were at it again.

Brice Matthews led the early offensive outburst this week, as he accounted for four of the Eagles five touchdowns in the first half. He opened the scoring with a five yard touchdown run, then added touchdown passes to JT Thomas, Darius Edmonds and Dylan Robinson.

By half, the Eagles led 35-14 and never looked back. Quincy Thompson added three second half touchdowns and the Eagles coasted to a 63-35 victory.

While Atascocita has become a fixture in the regional semifinals, and coasted in their two playoff wins, the Bulldogs are in this round for the first time ever, and have found the footing much more difficult.

In the bi-district round, the Bulldogs rallied from double digits to defeat C.E. King. Saturday at NRG, they faced another tough matchup against Clear Lake in the area round.

In a game that was hard fought, Summer Creek came up with big plays once again.

On offense, Bryan Bush led the Bulldogs attack by accounting for all four touchdowns, one a pass to Jamison Frazier and three on the ground to keep the Falcons at bay.

Summer Creek’s special teams also came up big, blocking two would-be lead changing Falcon field goals. The Bulldogs won 28-19 to move two games from the state tournament.

The Bulldogs will next play Cy Creek Friday at Rice University, while Atascocita will meet Cy Fair Saturday afternoon at NRG Stadium.

Erich Eisenach
Author: Erich EisenachEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
I am proud to be this area’s Tribune Newspaper voice for Humble, Atascocita, Kingwood, Kingwood Park and Summer Creek High School athletics, a capacity I have served in since the fall of 2011. High school sports are something I have grown to love since I started in this position, watching young kids live out their dreams in competition throughout the area and throughout the state. My greatest thrill in this position was being on Floor Eight at NRG Stadium in December of 2016 when Atascocita High School qualified for the state football semifinals for the first time. Aside from reporting sports, I am a regular parishioner of St. Martha Catholic Church of Kingwood. I am also a two-time graduate of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s College of Journalism and Mass Communications, and am a proud, but realistic, Nebraska Cornhuskers supporter. I do root for Houston’s local sports teams, but the Huskers are my team forever.