Coming into the week, the Summer Creek boys basketball team was still undefeated in district play, but faced major tests ahead.

The tests came in the form of two hungry neighbors; one certain to be a playoff team with aspirations of being at the top of the district, another with hopes of the playoffs.

And when those tests were over, the Bulldogs remained undefeated.

The first test came in the form of the Humble Wildcats, who lost to Summer Creek in a close game the first time the teams met. The second time, at Humble last Tuesday, was much the same.

For a while though, it looked like the game might not have that thrilling conclusion. The Bulldogs jumped to a quick 17-8 lead and remained in control for much of the game.

They kept the lead at eight at the half thanks to a big Dylan Phillip second quarter, led by seven after three and led by nine in the closing minutes.

But Humble came roaring down the stretch, and when Justin Lawson hit a two-point shot in the dying seconds, the comeback was complete. Humble had forced overtime, tied at 59.

With the game in overtime, the teams went back and forth throughout the overtime.

A big Jaylon Johnson three-pointer put the Bulldogs up one in the overtime, but when Lawson scored to put Humble up one in the waning moments, Summer Creek was down to its last chance.

However, the Bulldogs scored on a put back off a missed shot right before the final horn, and Summer Creek survived, 66-65.

The Bulldogs followed that up with a 57-48 win at home vs. Kingwood on Friday night, extending their district record to 11-0, two games ahead of second-place South Houston.

Tuesday night, the Bulldogs face another stern test at Atascocita, then they host Sam Rayburn on Friday.

Erich Eisenach
Author: Erich EisenachEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
I am proud to be this area’s Tribune Newspaper voice for Humble, Atascocita, Kingwood, Kingwood Park and Summer Creek High School athletics, a capacity I have served in since the fall of 2011. High school sports are something I have grown to love since I started in this position, watching young kids live out their dreams in competition throughout the area and throughout the state. My greatest thrill in this position was being on Floor Eight at NRG Stadium in December of 2016 when Atascocita High School qualified for the state football semifinals for the first time. Aside from reporting sports, I am a regular parishioner of St. Martha Catholic Church of Kingwood. I am also a two-time graduate of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s College of Journalism and Mass Communications, and am a proud, but realistic, Nebraska Cornhuskers supporter. I do root for Houston’s local sports teams, but the Huskers are my team forever.