Following a regular season which saw them go 14-2 in District 22-6A play that put them only second behind Atascocita Lady Eagles, Summer Creek Lady Bulldogs have gone on a major run in the state tournament.

A run which, in fact, has helped Summer Creek make history.

It took three overtimes against Westside Wolves on Saturday, but thanks to a 72-63 win the Lady Bulldogs are headed to the state tournament for the first time ever.

Even before the overtimes, the game was tight all the way through. Westside led by a point after one quarter, and the game was tied at the half, 27-27.

Summer Creek then took a two-point lead to the fourth quarter, and eventually took a three-point lead in the final quarter after a Maliyah Johnson layup.

But Westside fought back again, and eventually grabbed the lead 47-46 after a layup with under a minute to play.

Then, after Westside made one of two free throws, Johnson struck again, hitting a layup as time ran out to force overtime.

The team celebrates the triple overtime game against the Westside Wolves.

Summer Creek then took the lead late in the first overtime. But, thanks in part to clutch play by Westside and missed free throws by the Lady Bulldogs, Westside was able to force a second overtime by tying it up in the final seconds.

Each team then traded two points in the second overtime, and the game went to a third OT tied at 56.

But, in the third overtime, the Lady Bulldogs pulled away, in part because of the free throw line. They made 10 of their final 11 free throws, helping them outscore Westside 16-7 in the extra period.

The Lady Bulldogs will now face DeSoto in the state tournament March 1 at the Alamodome in San Antonio.

Erich Eisenach
Author: Erich EisenachEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
I am proud to be this area’s Tribune Newspaper voice for Humble, Atascocita, Kingwood, Kingwood Park and Summer Creek High School athletics, a capacity I have served in since the fall of 2011. High school sports are something I have grown to love since I started in this position, watching young kids live out their dreams in competition throughout the area and throughout the state. My greatest thrill in this position was being on Floor Eight at NRG Stadium in December of 2016 when Atascocita High School qualified for the state football semifinals for the first time. Aside from reporting sports, I am a regular parishioner of St. Martha Catholic Church of Kingwood. I am also a two-time graduate of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s College of Journalism and Mass Communications, and am a proud, but realistic, Nebraska Cornhuskers supporter. I do root for Houston’s local sports teams, but the Huskers are my team forever.