The 2019 Texas high school football season may be a couple of months away, but even now, the prognostications for the upcoming season are beginning to roll in.

One such preview is Dave Campbell’s Texas Football which hit newsstands across the state recently. Included in their predictions are forecasts for all the high school teams in the area.

By far, the local team with the highest pre-season expectations are the Atascocita Eagles. Not only are they Campbell’s favorite to win District 22-6A, but they are also ranked ninth in Campbell’s 6A pre-season poll.

The Eagles return 17 starters from their 2018 team that reached the regional semifinals.

On offense, Atascocita is led by quarterback Brice Matthews, who combined for over 3,600 yards and 41 touchdowns, three top offensive linemen and a dangerous receiving corps led by Dylan Robinson. Defensive end Asyrus Simon is expected to lead the Eagles defensively.

The Summer Creek Bulldogs are projected to finish second in 22-6A; the Bulldogs return nine starters from a team that also made the regional semifinals a year ago. Quarterback Bryan Bush is expected to lead Summer Creek offensively and has wide receivers Elijah Bean and Drevion Grant and three running backs to help him.

On defense, the Bulldogs are led by Anthony Hall, who had 121 tackles and 12 sacks a year ago.

The Kingwood Mustangs are also projected to make the playoffs, as the fourth and final team from the district. The Mustangs return seven starters and returning QB Grant Wall is expected to be key. The Humble Wildcats, meanwhile, are projected sixth.

In 5A, the Kingwood Park Panthers are projected to be in the playoffs as the third team from District 9-5A. The Panthers return 12 starters, including eight on offense.

Meanwhile in 4A, the Huffman Hargrave Falcons are picked to be in the playoffs as the second team from District 11-4A. The Falcons return 15 starters for 2019.

Erich Eisenach
Author: Erich EisenachEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
I am proud to be this area’s Tribune Newspaper voice for Humble, Atascocita, Kingwood, Kingwood Park and Summer Creek High School athletics, a capacity I have served in since the fall of 2011. High school sports are something I have grown to love since I started in this position, watching young kids live out their dreams in competition throughout the area and throughout the state. My greatest thrill in this position was being on Floor Eight at NRG Stadium in December of 2016 when Atascocita High School qualified for the state football semifinals for the first time. Aside from reporting sports, I am a regular parishioner of St. Martha Catholic Church of Kingwood. I am also a two-time graduate of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s College of Journalism and Mass Communications, and am a proud, but realistic, Nebraska Cornhuskers supporter. I do root for Houston’s local sports teams, but the Huskers are my team forever.