He described the library as a critical part of Humble and highlighted the many diverse services it provides. Those include circulating over 200,000 items and hosting 1,021 educational, library and digital programs and classes attended by over 17,000 children and adults last year. 

“Now therefore, by the authority vested in me as mayor of the City of Humble, Texas, I do hereby proclaim April 10 through 13 as the Octavia Fields Memorial Library Days in the City of Humble and encourage the community to visit the library this week to take advantage of the wonderful library resources available and to support the library in every way possible,” said Aaron.

Library Branch Manager Janna Hoglund stepped forward and accepted the proclamation on behalf of the library staff, most of whom were present.

“Mayor Aaron and council members, thank you for the honor and recognition. On behalf of our library team, I would like to assure you that we will continue to provide you excellent service to the City of Humble and Humble residents, and will continue to bring new services and opportunities to our community and continue to make differences in our customers’ lives” said Hoglund.

Hoglund announced a Library Open House on Tuesday, April 11, from 6-8 p.m., celebrating the Library Days Proclamation. She explained it is an opportunity for people to meet the staff and become familiar with the wide range of services provided. The public is invited to attend. 

Following the proclamation, the council approved three items of routine business. It approved the addition of an amendment to the budget for Fiscal Year 2016 that included adding several findings and information about matters related to that budget. The council also encumbered funds budgeted in Fiscal Year 2016 for specific equipment and property improvements, maintenance and repairs, decorations, training, uniforms and badges, and emergency management programs to be performed in Fiscal Year 2017. Finally, they authorized City Manager Darrell Boeske to negotiate for the purchase of various water and sewer line easements. Aaron explained the reason for granting this authority to negotiate individually in advance of council approval of individual agreements. He said when multiple property owners are affected by a single planned sewer line project, it is a much more timely and cost effective way to proceed, especially when the process is expected to take up to a year to complete.

Bruce Olson
Author: Bruce OlsonEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Columnist
I have been married since 1970 to Kerry, my best friend and a great Australian woman. I served and survived Vietnam in the U.S. Air Force. I fought forest fires in the summer while in college, where I earned a B.A. in economics from Oklahoma State University and an M.B.A. from the University of Texas. I retired from Continental Airlines. I have a son and two granddaughters in Kingwood, and a daughter and two grandsons on a farm near Mazabuka, Zambia. I am now enjoying life as a grandfather, Tribune correspondent and Humble ISD guest teacher when not traveling to Zambia or Australia.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location