Octavia Fields Branch Library, located at Will Clayton Pkwy. and S. Houston Avenue in Humble, is busy getting noticed in the community. Janna Hoglund, the branch manager, leads the way.

Hoglund described the staff and mission as follows: “We are a super team who believe in serving and providing excellent customer engagement and involvement. We want to change the perspective on how the community looks at the library. We hope for support from the community as we support partnerships with the community. We provide resources to help our customers. Our partnerships will make a difference in the community.”

The library has partnered with Humble schools to present the library to students, showing them how to use their resources. Students are taught how to research, how to use the Internet, and how to avoid Internet traps. In this aspect Hoglund said the branch partners with the school libraries.

The branch also presents several partner-led events, including citizenship classes and estate planning. 

“I encourage members of the community to come in and talk to us. If they have a skill or expertise that will benefit the community, we work with them to establish a presentation to our customer,” said Hoglund. 

She is active in promoting this resource-based library to the community. The Octavia Fields branch serves the City of Humble and beyond.

“The library plays a vital and unifying role. The library impacts positively the public it serves. I am a strong believer and supporter of a library serving as a center, not only meeting informational and educational needs, but also for various literacy and community integration initiatives. (We can) set foundations for lifelong learning and lifelong success,” Hoglund said. 

Hoglund places special emphasis on the great team working at the branch. 

“I am blessed with a great team who place service to the community first and who are simply a wonderful group of people,” said Hoglund. “It is a pleasure to work alongside them.”

She also established the Friends of Octavia Fields Library group in November 2016. This is a group of volunteers who support the library. They serve the library in various ways. 

“Anyone who would like to join the Friends group or who wants to support the library by volunteering or making donations should contact the library at 281-446-3377,” said Hoglund.

Hoglund has been at the branch for less than a year, since May 2016. She is energetic about her new role. She said she hopes her enthusiasm and energy is conveyed to their staff and partners. 

In January, Hoglund and the Friends group made a special presentation to the Humble City Council, fire department and police department, thanking them for their support. Oversized holiday cards, created by the library staff and patrons, were presented. Hoglund thanked Humble Mayor Merle Aaron and City Manager Darrell Boeske for their support.

John Crone
Author: John CroneEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
I have written a financial column for an Illinois community paper. I have worked in the financial business for most of my career. I am a CPA and was in charge of the trust and investment department of a community bank. I enjoy working with local businesses and community members to tell our readers about people and events in our area.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location