The hogs are back in Kingwood in large numbers.

This was reconfirmed at the Dec. 5 Kingwood Service Associations Parks Committee meeting by Ethel McCormick of Kingwood Management Association when she presented a recap of the Feral Hog Damage Report maintained on the KSA webpage.

“The KSA Hog Reports were as many as last month (November) with 55 reports again,” said McCormick. She noted 17 were in Kings Point Village, nine each in Royal Shores, Sand Creek and Foster’s Mill, eight in Kings River and three in Kingwood Greens.

“When you add that all up that is a lot of damage,” McCormick said, and pointed out there were a lot of other visual reports and evidence of hog activity in the parks, especially in East End Park.

However, the committee also received good news regarding the hog situation. Dee Price of Sand Creek announced the addition of a second hog hunter, as had been suggested and authorized by the committee at its previous meeting.

“As KSA president, I have done an agreement with the fellow that he will track and hunt hogs on HCFCD (Harris County Flood Control District) land where he already has permission; he will work with the community associations on their property and the Deerwood Country Club people have given him permission to hunt hogs. I did this from a service perspective. We are going to cover the cost and he needed some help for reimbursement of the cost of insurance so I agreed to pay him $125 a month,” said Price.

Price explained the new hunter, Mike, did not ask for anything else and KSA is going to account for it as a general administrative cost because it is considered a KSA service to the community. She noted the current hog hunter, Geraldo, and the new hunter, Mike, actually know each other.

“Our current hog hunter is going to concentrate on the parks and stay in the parks and work with the community associations around the parks. Mike is going to cover the others. So now we have a much broader coverage and we hope it is going to pay off,” said Price.

If November is any indication, the arrangement is already working with a record 20 hogs captured within the last month. As part of her report to the committee McCormick said, “The very first time he went out, he caught five of the biggest hogs I have ever seen in my life.” In addition to those five, McCormick reported the other hunter caught 10 hogs in East End Park in November and Mike caught five more in Kings River Dec. 4.

In other business, Price advised the committee that the contract for dredging the River Grove Park boat ramp and boardwalk area that was approved in November had been signed. The project is in the permitting process with the City of Houston, which is expected to take two or three weeks. She noted that there is a target date to start the dredging on or about Jan. 6 depending on when the permits are obtained. The time to complete the project will take two to three weeks. The objective is to have the boat ramp open for use before spring, along with the dredging of the adjacent boardwalk area.

KSA Parks Committee meetings are held on the first Thursday of each month at 7 p.m. at the South Woodland Hills Community Room, 2030 Shadow Rock Drive in Kingwood.

Bruce Olson
Author: Bruce OlsonEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Columnist
I have been married since 1970 to Kerry, my best friend and a great Australian woman. I served and survived Vietnam in the U.S. Air Force. I fought forest fires in the summer while in college, where I earned a B.A. in economics from Oklahoma State University and an M.B.A. from the University of Texas. I retired from Continental Airlines. I have a son and two granddaughters in Kingwood, and a daughter and two grandsons on a farm near Mazabuka, Zambia. I am now enjoying life as a grandfather, Tribune correspondent and Humble ISD guest teacher when not traveling to Zambia or Australia.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location