The Kingwood Service Association (KSA) Public Safety committee on Jan. 8 was made aware of three important public meetings that are coming up in January and February. These meetings are likely to greatly influence Kingwood and surrounding communities and the committee urges as many residents as possible to attend.

The San Jacinto River Authority’s (SJRA) Board of Directors will hold two special meetings on Jan. 21 at 6 p.m. and Feb. 20 at the Lone Star Convention and Expo Center located at 9055 Airport Road in Conroe.

The Authority will hear public comments Jan. 21 and take the final vote Feb.20.

The issue is the temporary flood mitigation strategy of lowering Lake Conroe on a seasonal basis. Many Conroe residents want to discontinue the practice put in place as a result of the flooding downstream caused by Hurricane Harvey. Dee Price of Sand Creek explained the importance of attending these meetings in Conroe.

“Bob Rehak and I went to the December meeting. They had a ton of people from around Lake Conroe who showed up and there were, like, six of us from the Kingwood and Atascocita area. After that turnout for what was not even on the agenda, they decided to move it (the January Public Comment Meeting) to the Convention and Expo Center because they are expecting even more people to show up,” she said.

Price said the people from Conroe were very vocal and intimidating about repealing the post-Harvey policy of lowering Lake Conroe. She highlighted the fact that lowering the lake in the face of heavy rains is a public policy subject to renewal every year and this meeting is about lowering it during 2020. She said lowering was clearly needed while the work on both the San Jacinto River and the Lake Houston dam is not yet completed. Once the flood gates in Lake Houston are completed, lowering of Lake Conroe will not be needed.

“This meeting is about reapproving it for one more year. We are asking as many people as possible to attend one or both of these meetings to provide input in support of continuing the seasonal lowering. If you cannot attend, you can provide input to the SJRA by either going to the website: sjra.net/about/board or sending an email to: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.,” Price said.

Kennedy Purser from Harris County Precinct 4 County Commissioner Jack Cagle’s Office advised the committee that buses were being arranged by the Lake Houston Chamber of Commerce to take people to the meeting from this area. Residents can contact the Lake Houston Chamber of Commerce for more information at 281-446-2128.

On Feb. 6 there will be an Open House from 5-8 p.m. regarding the upcoming Northpark Drive expansion. It will be held at the Kingwood Community Center on W. Lake Houston Parkway. Dustin Hodges of Houston Mayor Pro Tem Dave Martin’s office explained its purpose.

“The Open House is being hosted by the Lake Houston Redevelopment Authority. It is an informational session for residents of the area. They will be able to ask questions of the project team members and provide public comments. There will be a brief presentation at 6 p.m. as well,” he said.

In other business, the committee re-elected by acclimation Marshall Settegast of Mills Branch as its chairman and Denise Krieger of Bear Branch as its vice chair for the coming year.

The next KSA Public Safety Committee Meeting will be Wednesday, Feb. 12 at 7 p.m. at the South Woodland Hills Community Room, 2038 Shadow Rock.

Bruce Olson
Author: Bruce OlsonEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Columnist
I have been married since 1970 to Kerry, my best friend and a great Australian woman. I served and survived Vietnam in the U.S. Air Force. I fought forest fires in the summer while in college, where I earned a B.A. in economics from Oklahoma State University and an M.B.A. from the University of Texas. I retired from Continental Airlines. I have a son and two granddaughters in Kingwood, and a daughter and two grandsons on a farm near Mazabuka, Zambia. I am now enjoying life as a grandfather, Tribune correspondent and Humble ISD guest teacher when not traveling to Zambia or Australia.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location