Herman

Leading law enforcement for tens of thousands of citizens is no easy feat, but Harris County Precinct 4 Constable Mark Herman loves his job, and wants to keep it.

Herman is facing a challenger in the Republican primary, which is set for March 3. A Harris County Sheriff’s Deputy, Chris Bounds, has signed up to run. If Herman is successful, he will then face Democratic challenger Jeff McGowen, also a sheriff’s deputy, in November.

Herman is eager to keep his job so that he may continue his work serving Harris County Precinct 4 and its constituents.

“I am excited for the election, it is a part of the process of being a constable and I believe that if one has done an excellent job as I have, the voters will see the results and my work will speak for itself,” said Herman.

Herman did not start off his career running the largest constable’s office in the United States—he is a veteran in his line of duty. Herman has served for over 34 years at the Precinct 4 Constable’s Office, joining the department as a patrol deputy in 1985, and rising through the ranks to assistant chief deputy. Herman was appointed constable in May 2015 by the Harris County Commissioners Court after then-Constable Ron Hickman was appointed Harris County Sheriff. Herman won relection in November of 2016.

Herman’s expertise and hard work allowed him to assume leadership of the “largest constable’s office in the United States with an annual budget of more than $57 million,” an office that “covers the span of approximately 522 square miles,” said Herman.

Herman mentioned some of the many initiatives taken by his department to ensure the safety of Precinct 4’s citizens. “Over the past couple of years, we have targeted illegal operations such as those of massage parlors, prostitution schemes, sex trafficking … we have gone undercover, we have confronted gang violence, and we have conducted the enforcement of many hot-spots as well as anti-DUI initiatives,” said Herman.

“Additionally, we have established a special operations unit consisting of about 10 deputies which go out into the filed to monitor hot-spots,” said Herman.

The increase of law enforcement activities conducted by Herman’s office has coincided with a steady growth in the amount of staff at the constable’s office, an expansion that has grown to address the evolving needs of changing demographics.

“When I assumed the position in 2015, there were 422 employees and since then, this office has seen tremendous growth; today we have 572 law enforcement officers dedicated to serving the precinct,” said Herman.

One of the areas that Herman has focused on is expanding the constable’s office social media presence so that, “the public can see for themselves the work that we are doing,” said Herman.

In addition to his public service, Herman is dedicated to contributing to causes all around the Greater Houston area. Herman is an avid donor to several chambers of commerce, as well as local churches. Herman not only contributes department resources to bettering the community around him, he also contributes from his own finances—a further testament of his devotion to Precinct 4 and all the people he serves.

When asked why voters should choose him for a second term in office, Herman said, “Voters should elect me because of my expertise, experience, and will to run the largest constable’s office in the United States. I know the good people that work here, and I know the intricate needs of each of the communities that I serve, such as Kingwood, Humble etc.; they each have their own needs and I am ready to continue meeting them.”

For more information about the constable’s office, visit constablepct4.com or facebook.com/Precinct4/.

To vote for Herman in this upcoming election, remember to register and vote early or on Election Day, Tuesday, November 3, 2020.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location