Judy Cox

For more than 30 years, Judy Cox has put in blood, sweat and tears to ensure that FamilyTime Crisis and Counseling Center is successful and runs smoothly. Those countless hours of hard work and dedication to the nonprofit are being honored as Cox takes the next step in her career – retirement.

Cox first underwent volunteer training with FamilyTime in March of 1987 and worked as the legal advocate before being promoted to the executive director of FamilyTime where she has served for the past 14 years.

“My favorite time with FamilyTime was working as a legal advocate,” said Cox.

“I was the guardian ad litem, mostly on domestic violence cases, and it was very rewarding. It was nice to be at the beginning of the Rape Crisis Center; I set up the schedules and made sure someone was on-call to see our clients.”

From humble beginnings, Cox has worked to help FamilyTime continue to evolve into other crisis-related activities including free counseling and support groups for abuse victims, operating “The Door,” an emergency shelter for domestic violence victims; hospital accompaniment for victims of abuse, training staff to provide legal advocacy about abuse-related issues, managing the center’s professional counseling at affordable rates for non-victim issues and holding anger management classes.

Throughout the years, Cox has seen the nonprofit grow as the community continues to expand.

“We have grown with the community,” said Cox. “When I started in 1987, there was just the executive director, a few part-time therapists and tons of volunteers that ran the organization. The community was small, we were small, but we have grown as they have. That’s why I believe we are special for this community because we have been here for years, we’ve served the community and we’ve grown as they have grown. We couldn’t have done anything we do without the community support.”

Cox will be honored for her hard work and dedication during the annual FamilyTime Women of Achievement Hearts of Gold Gala Jan. 25.

What’s next for Cox? She plans on taking a cruise in February and taking some time off to determine her next plan of action.

“I have enjoyed telling our community about FamilyTime and it’s been great to share everything we do with those who have helped us so much along the way,” said Cox.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location