At an abbreviated meeting June 4, the Kingwood Service Association (KSA) Parks Committee approved the low bid of three submitted of $24,345 for three asphalt repairs in River Grove Park and Northpark Recreation Area. Work is expected to begin in the immediate future. The meeting was the first since March 5 due to the coronavirus shutdown. Chairperson Dee Price had asked in advance that the agenda be limited to approval of the bid needed to get these summer projects underway. Fourteen committee members, all wearing face masks, sat in a spread-out arrangement to ensure each person was seated at least 6 feet apart per coronavirus distancing guidelines.

Price outlined the bids submitted for consideration and cost breakdowns for the three park areas in need of repair. Two are in River Grove Park and one is in the Northpark Recreation Area. She noted they were all asphalt construction jobs and were treated as a single bid in terms of determining the total cost for all three projects.

“The boat parking area of River Grove was damaged somewhat by the heavy equipment from the dredging company. We have placed dirt in the crumpled-up area but we really need to replace and repair it and we need to do it properly,” Price said. She explained that the expense will be applied against already approved funding for the overall boat ramp-dredging project.

“The next one [at River Grove] is to replace the speed bumps with lower profile speed humps. This was a budgeted project for this year and the purpose is for people who bring their boats,” Price said. She explained how the existing “bumps” are taller and narrower than the planned “humps” which are wider and lower. Boat owners have complained the height and shape of the existing bumps causes their boats and trailers to bounce more violently and can result in low-slung motors striking the surface of the roadway, sometimes resulting in damage. “We want to slow people down but not create such an issue for the boats,” Price said, and noted it was a project already budgeted and approved for this year.

“The Northpark Recreational Area is a project we wanted to do last year and were trying to get somebody to do it but couldn’t, so we decided to add it to this and get it done,” Price said. She explained that the cost would be taken against funding approved last year and carried over into this year’s budget. The Kingwood Girls Softball Association had requested a speed hump be added as the roadway approaches the girls’ batting area. They are concerned about balls hit or thrown accidentally into the roadway and kids chasing them down, not paying attention to oncoming traffic in the roadway.

In addition to the speed hump near the batting area, this project includes adding another speed hump right next to an existing one further down the road to discourage people from driving around the existing hump because it is too short in length and easy to drive around. The new hump will add 11 feet, 4 inches to the overall width of the speed hump currently in place.

The committee unanimously approved the combined low bid for all three projects submitted by Sullivan Paving, a contractor with much past experience doing work for the KSA. All of the speed humps will be painted yellow and the parking area repair in River Grove Park includes the painting of parking lanes for vehicles with boat trailers.

KSA Parks Committee meetings are normally held on the first Thursday of each month at 7 p.m. at the South Woodland Hills Community Room, 2030 Shadow Rock Drive. They will continue as scheduled now that coronavirus restrictions have been lifted in Houston.

Bruce Olson
Author: Bruce OlsonEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Columnist
I have been married since 1970 to Kerry, my best friend and a great Australian woman. I served and survived Vietnam in the U.S. Air Force. I fought forest fires in the summer while in college, where I earned a B.A. in economics from Oklahoma State University and an M.B.A. from the University of Texas. I retired from Continental Airlines. I have a son and two granddaughters in Kingwood, and a daughter and two grandsons on a farm near Mazabuka, Zambia. I am now enjoying life as a grandfather, Tribune correspondent and Humble ISD guest teacher when not traveling to Zambia or Australia.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location