It was nearly standing room only by Zoom at the August Kingwood Service Association Public Safety Committee meeting, the first held since March.

Chairman Marshall Settegast called the meeting, a teleconference using Zoom technology, and 23 representatives attended, well over the quorum requirement.

Settegast told the group that the proposed 2021 Public Safety Committee budget had been sent to the 31 KSA community associations for approval. The total budget will be presented to the KSA board of directors for approval at its October meeting.

“The budget for 2021 is basically the same as it was for last year (2020) which is $20,045. It includes $5,000 for Shattered Dreams which may or may not occur,” Dee Price of Sand Creek said. The money earmarked for Shattered Dreams is the normal amount of KSA’s contribution to the annual intoxicated driving exercise put on by HPD with Kingwood High School and/or Kingwood Park High School. Because of the COVID-19 situation, no one knows whether either will be conducted or not.

“I kept it in the budget in case it gets going and if not, then maybe we can use the allocation for other things that come up like bike patrol or whatever,” Price said.

In other business, Settegast noted National Night Out is scheduled for Oct. 6. National Night Out is an annual community-building campaign that promotes police-community partnerships and neighborhood camaraderie. Also Zooming into the meeting were Houston Police Department (HPD) Officers Ayaht Nichols and Jesse Morales to discuss the event. Settegast asked the committee representatives to have their villages determine if they were interested in having it in their villages if the national event actually occurs. Nichols clarified the current situation from an HPD standpoint.

“Right now, HPD is still planning to have officers available for National Night Out Oct. 6 to participate in the activities, but the event may be modified or possibly canceled,” she said. Nichols explained that it will help in planning to know which, if any Kingwood villages, would plan to participate.

The next KSA Public Safety Committee Meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, Sept. 8, at 7 p.m. at the South Woodland Hills Community Room, 2038 Shadow Rock in Kingwood. The public is invited to attend. Due to the current coronavirus situation, the public is encouraged to call the Kingwood Association Management office at 281-358-5192 a day or two prior to confirm if the meeting is still scheduled as planned or if it will take place as a Zoom teleconference.

Bruce Olson
Author: Bruce OlsonEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Columnist
I have been married since 1970 to Kerry, my best friend and a great Australian woman. I served and survived Vietnam in the U.S. Air Force. I fought forest fires in the summer while in college, where I earned a B.A. in economics from Oklahoma State University and an M.B.A. from the University of Texas. I retired from Continental Airlines. I have a son and two granddaughters in Kingwood, and a daughter and two grandsons on a farm near Mazabuka, Zambia. I am now enjoying life as a grandfather, Tribune correspondent and Humble ISD guest teacher when not traveling to Zambia or Australia.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location