The Kingwood Service Association (KSA) Public Safety Committee met Sept. 9 via Zoom teleconference with a single objective: to approve its proposed budget for 2021. It had been submitted in August to KSA’s 31 community associations, or CAs, for review and comment.

“We discussed this at our last meeting and took it back to our CAs. We are going to vote on it tonight,” Chairman Marshall Settegast said and turned the discussion over to Dee Price of Sand Creek. Price had put the original budget proposal together, which includes public safety information costs, security for KSA meetings, equipment and maintenance repairs such as donated bicycles and parts for the Kingwood Bike Patrol in Kingwood, $5,000 for KSA to contribute to the Shattered Dreams program for the two Kingwood high schools, and various miscellaneous programs. The proposed budget totaled $20,045 and was unchanged from the 2020 plan.

“Are there any questions or changes that you got from your CAs?” Price asked. There were none. The budget was seconded and passed unanimously.

“We will now go to our second motion,” Settegast said, and asked Price to explain it before voting.

“At our last meeting Bryan [Danneman of Elm Grove] asked the police officers of the bike patrol to take a look at their requirements for bicycles and parts or maintenance kits. They usually put a list together and then come back and ask us to fund it,” Price said, and explained this is a community support activity the committee has done for years and the annual budget includes provisions for these types of programs. However, each activity must be individually approved.

“They sent it in and if you look at the last page of the agenda I totaled it up,” Price said. She pointed out it included $2,500 for a new, fully equipped bicycle specifically fitted out for police activity and $2,872 for expected maintenance and parts. It totaled $5,372, which was within the committee’s maintenance and repair allocation of the budget just approved. The request was approved for $5,500 to allow for a small contingency amount if needed.

The next KSA Public Safety Committee Meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, Oct. 14, at 7 p.m. at the South Woodland Hills Community Room, 2038 Shadow Rock. The public is invited to attend. Due to the current COVID-19 situation, residents are encouraged to call the Kingwood Association Management office at 281-358-5192 a day or two prior to confirm if the meeting is still scheduled as planned or if it will take place as a Zoom teleconference.

Bruce Olson
Author: Bruce OlsonEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Columnist
I have been married since 1970 to Kerry, my best friend and a great Australian woman. I served and survived Vietnam in the U.S. Air Force. I fought forest fires in the summer while in college, where I earned a B.A. in economics from Oklahoma State University and an M.B.A. from the University of Texas. I retired from Continental Airlines. I have a son and two granddaughters in Kingwood, and a daughter and two grandsons on a farm near Mazabuka, Zambia. I am now enjoying life as a grandfather, Tribune correspondent and Humble ISD guest teacher when not traveling to Zambia or Australia.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location