Two groups recently agreed to join forces to reforest Kingwood.

“The trails associations have formed a committee and are initiating what they call the Kingwood Tree Initiative. What they are trying to do is to get numerous organizations in Kingwood which are responsible for trees, and that includes KSA Parks, to work together to set up a project and then go out and get funds from various organizations like the city, the forestry department or grants from various environmental organizations,” said Dee Price of Sand Creek, speaking as both a committee member and as vice president of KSA. The creation of such a committee would enable the community to plan and take care of Kingwood’s trees for at least the next two years into the future so that its trails and parks areas can be reforested with plants and trees when and where needed.

“One of the things they are asking is if KSA could be responsible as the lead organization, as the spokes-organization if you will, for all of Kingwood. KSA would be put on the applications and correspondence as the contact point,” Price said. She explained if KSA agreed to join, it was the Parks Committee that was appropriate to make that decision and it would fall on the committee to administer the contacts, correspondence and to work through various issues as they arose.

Committee Chairman Chris Manthei suggested the existing but long inactive Kingwood Service Association Parks Foundation would be a great administrative vehicle to take on such a project. It is a 501 (c) (3) charitable organization that was created so that people could make tax-deductible contributions of land or money that improves or expands Kingwood parks. The committee agreed and committed to become a part of the project and serve as the public contact point.

In other business, Mark Zylker of Kingwood Alliance Soccer reported this year’s soccer enrollment is at an all time high. “The numbers are the biggest we have ever had in the 16 years we have been with KSA. I call it post-COVID effect, but we have more kids playing soccer than we have ever had. It’s wonderful,” he said.

Price updated the committee on the long-awaited reconstruction of the River Grove boat dock. It had taken over four months to obtain the needed permits and in September, Price explained the contractor would begin the rebuilding project as soon as his current project was completed.

“The project got started today. The contractor moved his equipment on site and has started work. He will move in the barge tomorrow and, weather permitting, we will be replacing the boardwalk. They have already removed the decking. They will come in and remove the substructure and replace the whole thing,” Price said. She estimated it will take two to three weeks to finish the job.

Ethel McCormick of the Kingwood Management Association, KSA’s administrative support organization, advised feral hog activity appears to be increasing.

“Unfortunately, they may be coming back. Suddenly, I have gotten a couple of reports. We had two near Sand Creek but really toward the commercial area off Kingwood Drive at Forest Garden along the flood control ditch. We also had a report from a person who walks the trails a whole lot and there was a dead hog on the Greentree Sand Creek Trail. We have one report in Royal Shores, and I have sent it off to our trackers,” McCormick said. She explained KSA’s two hog trackers have reported a total of four hogs they have captured and removed during the last month. She explained the trackers are reporting that as it starts to get cooler, the hogs are starting to move about the area more, as they have in past years.

KSA Parks Committee meetings are open to the public and are normally held on the first Thursday of each month at 7 p.m. at the South Woodland Hills Community Room, 2030 Shadow Rock Drive in Kingwood. However, due to COVID-19, it is expected to be conducted in November as a Zoom conference. Contact KSA at 281-358-5192 the day before planning to attend to confirm it is a Zoom meeting and arrange for joining it.

Bruce Olson
Author: Bruce OlsonEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Columnist
I have been married since 1970 to Kerry, my best friend and a great Australian woman. I served and survived Vietnam in the U.S. Air Force. I fought forest fires in the summer while in college, where I earned a B.A. in economics from Oklahoma State University and an M.B.A. from the University of Texas. I retired from Continental Airlines. I have a son and two granddaughters in Kingwood, and a daughter and two grandsons on a farm near Mazabuka, Zambia. I am now enjoying life as a grandfather, Tribune correspondent and Humble ISD guest teacher when not traveling to Zambia or Australia.

Comments (2)

This comment was minimized by the moderator on the site

As a regular user of the Kingwood Trails, reforesting is needed and I applaud this initiative. But, ignoring the real need for trash cans to help keep the areas clean as well as either fixing the drainage around the trails or restoring the...

As a regular user of the Kingwood Trails, reforesting is needed and I applaud this initiative. But, ignoring the real need for trash cans to help keep the areas clean as well as either fixing the drainage around the trails or restoring the walkways to prevent some sections from flooding when it rains I believe should take precedent. I have lived in Kingwood for 18 years and have been dismayed that these items are regularly dismissed by our trail associations.

Read More
James Frank Scheiner
This comment was minimized by the moderator on the site

As a regular user of the Kingwood Trails, reforesting is needed and I applaud this initiative. But, ignoring the real need for trash cans to help keep the areas clean as well as either fixing the drainage around the trails or restoring the...

As a regular user of the Kingwood Trails, reforesting is needed and I applaud this initiative. But, ignoring the real need for trash cans to help keep the areas clean as well as either fixing the drainage around the trails or restoring the walkways to prevent some sections from flooding when it rains I believe should take precedent. I have lived in Kingwood for 18 years and have been dismayed that these items are regularly dismissed by our trail associations.

Read More
James Frank Scheiner
There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location