Tavores Dewayne Henderson

The man accused in the death of Nassau Bay Police Sgt. Kaila Sullivan is now charged with capital murder of a police officer, court records show.

A Crime Stoppers tip led to the arrest Thursday, Dec. 12, of Tavores Dewayne Henderson.

In court, Henderson was initially granted bond for the felony murder charge.

"Mr. Henderson, in the murder case I’m setting your bond at $150,000. That’s taking into account that you have a felony bond pending that you forfeited which means you didn’t show up for court. Which is now set at zero and you have a new misdemeanor charge for assaulting a family member ... out of Galveston County for attempted theft where the judge has set that bond at $20,000,” the judge said.

However, Friday, Henderson was denied bond after his felony murder charge was upgraded to capital murder Friday.

Law enforcement captured Henderson, 21, Thursday afternoon, two days after Sullivan was run over and killed Tuesday night. In order to get a warrant for his arrest, the Harris County District Attorney’s Office charged him with felony murder, which was a faster process, Ogg previously told KPRC 2.

Sgt. Kaila Sullivan

Henderson appeared in court Thursday night where a judge set his bond on the felony murder charge for $150,000. This sparked outrage among law enforcement with Harris County Sheriff Ed Gonzalez, Houston police Chief Art Acevedo and Houston Police Officer’s Union President Joe Gamaldi all criticizing the move.

Friday morning, Henderson’s charge was upgraded to capital murder. Harris County DA prosecutor Sean Teare told KPRC 2 mid-Friday morning that when prosecutors upgraded the charge, they asked the judge for no bond, which was granted for both the capital murder charge and Henderson’s February charge of aggravated assault of a family member.

“I think that it’s important for everyone to understand that while the bond that was set yesterday, $150,000 on the felony murder, was obviously concerning to a number of people, in no way was that going to allow him to make a bond,” Teare said. “There was never going to be an issue where this individual was going to get out on a bond after we captured him.”


Teare explained that while Henderson was on the run, he failed to show up to a court date for his previous aggravated assault charge for which he had bonded out in July. When he didn’t show up in court, prosecutors moved to forfeit his bond in that case.

“So, he was at zero bond ... all day yesterday,” Teare said. “Once we captured him, his bond was at zero. So even if he had the $150,000 cash to drop down, they would not have released him.”

When asked why the DA’s office didn’t immediately file a capital murder charge against Henderson after he was captured, Teare said prosecutors wanted to “ensure that we had collected every piece of evidence, and not just collected it, but analyzed it.”

Henderson had been arrested by Conroe Police on July 10, 2019, after the theft of power tools valued at over $2500 from Home Depot on West Davis. He was indicted by the Montgomery County Grand Jury on Oct. 3. An additional charge of evading arrest when a Conroe Police Officer attempted to stop him. He was given a $10,000 bond on each charge. Those bonds were revoked today by Judge Phil Grant in the 9th District Court. In addition to those charges, he was also held on a Harris County warrant for aggravated assault. On Nov. 16, 2018, Henderson stood in front of his girlfriend’s car with a firearm pointed at her and ordered her to open the car door which in fear of her life she did. Henderson then using his hands, wrapped them around her neck cutting off her airway. On July 16, 2019, he posted a $50,000 bond and was released. On Nov. 11, he was indicted on the Harris County charge. His bond was also revoked today by the 263rd District Court in Harris County. Henderson also has an open warrant in Galveston County. Even after all these arrests, Henderson was proud of himself, posting his mug shots on his Facebook page.

Sullivan, 43, was attempting to arrest Henderson, who was wanted on warrants when she was hit and killed by his vehicle. According to the police department in the Clear Lake area, Sullivan was one of the officers conducting the traffic stop at an apartment complex in the 2000 block of San Sebastian Court around 8:30 p.m. Tuesday. Henderson was wanted on a Harris County warrant for assault on a family member, police said. While trying to arrest him, police said he fought with officers and was able to break free, re-enter the vehicle, and hit Sullivan as he drove away. Sullivan was taken to HCA Clear Lake Hospital by ambulance, where she died. According to Nassau Bay police Chief Tim Cromie, Sullivan would have marked her 16th anniversary working in the Nassau Bay Police Department. “This a nightmare scenario for our city. (It’s the) first time an officer has ever been seriously injured, much less killed, in the line of duty,” said Nassau Bay Mayor Mark Denman.  

This story comes to us from our news partners, Click2Houston.com and The Montgomery County Police Reporter.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

  1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location