On Friday night, the Humble Wildcats boys’ basketball team faced its final hurdle before a huge matchup this coming week, a game which could decide the district title.

Though a tough Porter Spartans team pushed Humble deep into the fourth quarter, the Wildcats prevailed 75-61 to move on to their biggest game of the year.

Through the majority of the first half, Humble held a narrow lead, as Justin Lawson got Humble started with 12 first quarter points to boost the Wildcats to an early lead.

Humble led by as many as 10 points in the first half, but thanks to a 14-6 burst, the Spartans cut the lead to just two at halftime.

In the third quarter, the Wildcats used an early surge to bring their lead back up to as many as nine points, but a 9-0 run by Porter, capped off by a Pierce Spencer three pointer, put Porter in the lead 48-47 late in the third.

But just as Porter was beginning to possibly back the Wildcats into a corner, the Wildcats grabbed the game back.

The Wildcats countered with a 9-0 run of their own, capped off by a Jaylon Alsanders three pointer which put the Wildcats back up by eight.

Having regained the lead, the Wildcats then put the Spartans away with a 19-9 burst. Led by Lawson’s 26 points and Alsanders’ 17 (including four key three pointers) the Wildcats remained unbeaten in district play.

The Wildcats next face Crosby at home Tuesday night in a game with huge district implications; the Wildcats defeated Crosby at Crosby in January and both teams have gone undefeated since.

A Wildcats win locks up 21-5A’s top seed for the Wildcats, while a Crosby win creates a tie with two games to go.

ATASCOCITA

In District 21-6A, the Atascocita Eagles kept hold on their district lead with two easy wins this past week, including 68-51 over C.E. King at home Friday night. The Eagles travel to Goose Creek Memorial Tuesday and host Kingwood Friday.

Erich Eisenach
Author: Erich EisenachEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
I am proud to be this area’s Tribune Newspaper voice for Humble, Atascocita, Kingwood, Kingwood Park and Summer Creek High School athletics, a capacity I have served in since the fall of 2011. High school sports are something I have grown to love since I started in this position, watching young kids live out their dreams in competition throughout the area and throughout the state. My greatest thrill in this position was being on Floor Eight at NRG Stadium in December of 2016 when Atascocita High School qualified for the state football semifinals for the first time. Aside from reporting sports, I am a regular parishioner of St. Martha Catholic Church of Kingwood. I am also a two-time graduate of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s College of Journalism and Mass Communications, and am a proud, but realistic, Nebraska Cornhuskers supporter. I do root for Houston’s local sports teams, but the Huskers are my team forever.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location