Colorado School of Mines sophomore Jake Pinkston reclaimed the school’s indoor pole vault record Jan. 26, the first day of the Division II Invite and Multi meet at Steinhauer Fieldhouse in Golden, Colo. He vaulted a record 5.15 meters on his second pole vault attempt.

Pinkston is a graduate of Kingwood High School. He and Mines teammate Connor McLean have a friendly rivalry going. They keep swapping the record back and forth. McLean is a junior Mines heptathlete. Pinkston held the record this season until McLean vaulted 5.12 meters earlier in January at the Mines Twilight Classic track and field meet. The next weekend, Pinkston reclaimed the top spot with his 5.15 meter vault.

Either McLean or Pinkston have held the school’s men’s indoor pole vault record since 2016 at the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference Indoor Track and Field Championships.

Pinkston’s record Jan. 26 marked the second straight week he vaulted his personal best in the indoor track and field events.

The next day, on Jan. 27, McLean surpassed the record, jumping .05 meters higher than Pinkston. The boys push each other to perform better. Pinkston says McLean is a great athlete.

Pinkston has consistently been in the top 3 spots of the NCAA rankings for his sport. He still stays in touch with many of the young Kingwood vaulters still in high school.

The School of Mines Men’s Track and Field program is currently ranked No. 1 in Division II in the country. It is a first for the program to have the top ranking, and Pinkston and McLean definitely contribute.

Jacqueline Havelka
Author: Jacqueline HavelkaEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
I am a rocket scientist turned writer. I worked at Lockheed Martin-Johnson Space Center for many years managing experiments on the Space Station and Shuttle, and I now own my own firm, Inform Scientific, specializing in technical and medical writing and research program management. I am a contributing correspondent to The Tribune, a Kingwood resident for 12 years, and proud mom to two Aggie sons.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location