After making the state tournament for the first time in 2016, the Atascocita Eagles softball team made it back to Austin in 2018 - and this time, soared to the top to become 6A state softball champions.

After defeating Katy in the regional finals to return to the state tournament, the Eagles faced off with Plano in Friday’s state semifinals.

The Wildcats, in their road to the semifinals, had beaten Marcus, South Grand Prairie, Flower Mound, Permian and then beat Keller 2-1 in the region finals.

In that semifinal matchup, the Eagles jumped ahead and never trailed at all in the game. They scored runs in the first, third, fourth and seventh innings and behind three RBIs from freshman Katie Cimusz and a complete game seven hitter from senior Jenika Lombrana, they won 4-2 to advance to the state championship round.

In the state finals, the Eagles met New Braunfels Canyon, who defeated Oak Ridge in the other state semifinal.

For a long while it appeared that pitching would rule the 6A state championship. Canyon took a 1-0 lead into the fifth inning, and then the offenses started trading punches.

First, it was the Eagles going up 2-1 in the fifth, then Canyon responded with two in the top of the sixth to reclaim the lead at 3-2.

The Eagles then once again battled back, as they did all postseason (which saw them win five win or go home games) and scored three to take a 5-3 lead to the seventh.

But though they were three outs away, Canyon didn’t go quietly.

Canyon put the tying runs on base in the top of the seventh. But with the state title on the line, freshman Mikayla Garza induced two ground ball outs to seal the Eagles first state championship.’

Erich Eisenach
Author: Erich EisenachEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
I am proud to be this area’s Tribune Newspaper voice for Humble, Atascocita, Kingwood, Kingwood Park and Summer Creek High School athletics, a capacity I have served in since the fall of 2011. High school sports are something I have grown to love since I started in this position, watching young kids live out their dreams in competition throughout the area and throughout the state. My greatest thrill in this position was being on Floor Eight at NRG Stadium in December of 2016 when Atascocita High School qualified for the state football semifinals for the first time. Aside from reporting sports, I am a regular parishioner of St. Martha Catholic Church of Kingwood. I am also a two-time graduate of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s College of Journalism and Mass Communications, and am a proud, but realistic, Nebraska Cornhuskers supporter. I do root for Houston’s local sports teams, but the Huskers are my team forever.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location