Former Kingwood standout Kyle Finnegan is one step away from making it to the Major Leagues.

The 26-year-old right-handed relief pitcher is currently on the 7-day disabled list, but began the season as a non-roster invitee to the Oakland Athletics Spring Training where he appeared in six games and recorded one save.

In five innings of relief work for the A’s this spring, Finnegan struck out five while yielding three runs on six hits.

It was the second consecutive Spring Training with Oakland, a team that chose Finnegan in the sixth round of the 2013 Draft out of Texas State University.

He has spent the last six seasons working his way up through the minor leagues and for the first time started the season at the Triple-A level with the Nashville Sounds of the Pacific Coast League. Nashville is in the PCL American South Division with Round Rock, New Orleans, and Memphis.

Finnegan last pitched on May 9 and this season for Nashville, the 6-foot-2, 170-pounder is 0-1 with a 4.73 ERA and one save to his credit. In 13 1/3 innings pitched, spanning 10 games, Finnegan has struck out 14 while allowing seven earned runs on 14 hits.

Over his minor league career he is 24-31 in 164 appearances, 61 of those as a starter, with 20 saves in 25 save opportunities. Finnegan has compiled a 4.17 ERA and struck out 337 batters over 447 innings pitched.

A 2010 first-team all-district player as a senior, Finnegan helped lead Kingwood to a 27-7 record and a district championship.

Named a Texas League mid-season All-Star in 2017 and a Midwest League mid-season All-Star in 2014, Finnegan continues to close in on a potential Major League debut.

Bryan Kimbro
Author: Bryan KimbroEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
I am a sixth-generation Texan and lifelong Houstonian. I have held various positions at The Tribune since beginning in 2009. I am currently pursuing my master's degree in professional writing at the University of Houston.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location