Kingwood Park senior setter/right side hitter Andie Unwin was named the District 20-5A Most Valuable Player last week following the Panthers’ Class 5A volleyball championship title.

During the season, Unwin had 743 assists, 291 kills, 241 digs, 72 blocks and 69 aces. She was also named on the Texas Girls Coaches Association All State team for Class 5A.

Unwin was also named to the 2018-2019 Texas Girls Coaches Association Class 5A all-state team.

The senior setter/right side hitter and the Lady Panthers won their first Class 5A state volleyball champions after sweeping powerhouse Lucas Lovejoy in a state final match. K-Park is also the first Humble ISD school to win a state championship in volleyball.

Also earning accolades for the Lady Panthers was middle-blocker Katey Searcy, senior, who was named 2018-2019 Defensive Player of the Year. Searcy tallied 352 digs, 150 kills, 57 blocks, 56 assists and 37 aces during the season.

Lady Panther outside hitter Erika Williams, sophomore, was named district Newcomer of the Year. Williams had 211 kills and 124 blocks during the season.

Getting named to the all-district first team for Kingwood Park were Yaters Barker, Libby Overmyer and Alia Williams.

Julia Hadley and Sydney Kolar were named to the second team and Tori Marquez and Emma Jay Omenson earned honorable mention honors.

Bryan Kimbro
Author: Bryan KimbroEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
I am a sixth-generation Texan and lifelong Houstonian. I have held various positions at The Tribune since beginning in 2009. I am currently pursuing my master's degree in professional writing at the University of Houston.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location