After splitting 10 matches to start the season during the week of Aug. 10, including nine matches at the John Turner Classic, the Kingwood Park Lady Panthers volleyball team returned home for a pair of matches.

Once again, Park went .500 in those matches, on their home court against the Friendswood Mustangs and in a tough five-set match on Kingwood’s court.

Last Tuesday night, the Lady Panthers faced Friendswood on their home court, and though the sledding was difficult for large parts of the match, the Lady Panthers found a way to the winner’s circle.

For much of the first set, it was very, very tight, with neither team gaining a huge advantage. In fact, the first set was tied at 11 at one point. But, led by Erika Williams and others, the Lady Panthers then went on a 13-6 run to break the set open, and even though the Mustangs tried to mount a rally, the Panthers took the set 25-20.

In the second set, however, Friendswood came out with all engines burning, taking an early 5-1 advantage and eventually would go up 15-10. The Lady Panthers then issued a championship response. They immediately erased the Friendswood five-point edge with a 7-1 spurt that gave Park a brief lead. From that point, the teams traded points and leads until Park found themselves up 24-22 facing two set points. But Friendswood battled back again to tie at 24. However, the Lady Panthers dug deep again, eventually winning the set 27-25.

Friendswood took the third set 26-24, but at that point the hill was too much to climb and the Lady Panthers took the fourth set easily, 25-17, and the match, three sets to one.

Against the Kingwood Mustangs last Friday night, the Lady Panthers saw another tough match. They took the first set 27-25, lost the next two sets, and won the fourth 28-26 before finally losing the decisive fifth set 17-15.

This week, the Lady Panthers take on College Park Tuesday night at College Park, then head to Leander for the Volleypalooza tournament.

Erich Eisenach
Author: Erich EisenachEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
I am proud to be this area’s Tribune Newspaper voice for Humble, Atascocita, Kingwood, Kingwood Park and Summer Creek High School athletics, a capacity I have served in since the fall of 2011. High school sports are something I have grown to love since I started in this position, watching young kids live out their dreams in competition throughout the area and throughout the state. My greatest thrill in this position was being on Floor Eight at NRG Stadium in December of 2016 when Atascocita High School qualified for the state football semifinals for the first time. Aside from reporting sports, I am a regular parishioner of St. Martha Catholic Church of Kingwood. I am also a two-time graduate of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s College of Journalism and Mass Communications, and am a proud, but realistic, Nebraska Cornhuskers supporter. I do root for Houston’s local sports teams, but the Huskers are my team forever.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location