After five straight wins to start the 2019 season, the Humble Wildcats met the Dobie Longhorns in a physical contest Saturday night at Turner Stadium.

Thanks to a physical running attack which wore the Wildcats down in the fourth quarter, the Longhorns beat the Wildcats 21-7 to move to 5-0 for the first time since 1999.

The game was a tough, low-scoring affair and through three quarters, both teams traded stops and missed opportunities.

Dobie led 7-0 at half, with the lone score being a 65-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Braden Gant.

On one possession late in the first half, Humble drove into the Dobie red zone thanks in part to a 23-yard run on a fake punt, but X’zavier Sidney was stopped on fourth and short at the Dobie 6-yard line.

In the third quarter, both teams traded possessions which ended in errant kicks; Dobie took the ball from their 21 down to the Humble 14 but missed a short field goal.

On the next possession, Humble took the ball at the 20 and got two 30-plus-yard pass catches to get into the red zone, but also missed a field goal try.

Two Dobie possessions later, with the game in the fourth quarter and the score still 7-0, the Longhorns got the ball at their 49 and used a 10-play, 51-yard drive (with nine of the plays being runs) which was capped by a 1-yard touchdown by Cameron Gray to make the score 14-0.

Humble, however, didn’t go without a fight. After a pass interference penalty gave Humble a first down, Dexter Wyble found Robert Williams for a 64-yard touchdown which cut the lead to 14-7 with 5:40 left.

But on the next possession, Dobie sealed their win with an eight-play, 70-yard drive, finished by a 24-yard touchdown run by Ja’Darieon Henderson to put the game away.

Humble, now 5-1, faces Summer Creek this Friday night at Turner Stadium.

Erich Eisenach
Author: Erich EisenachEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
I am proud to be this area’s Tribune Newspaper voice for Humble, Atascocita, Kingwood, Kingwood Park and Summer Creek High School athletics, a capacity I have served in since the fall of 2011. High school sports are something I have grown to love since I started in this position, watching young kids live out their dreams in competition throughout the area and throughout the state. My greatest thrill in this position was being on Floor Eight at NRG Stadium in December of 2016 when Atascocita High School qualified for the state football semifinals for the first time. Aside from reporting sports, I am a regular parishioner of St. Martha Catholic Church of Kingwood. I am also a two-time graduate of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s College of Journalism and Mass Communications, and am a proud, but realistic, Nebraska Cornhuskers supporter. I do root for Houston’s local sports teams, but the Huskers are my team forever.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location