This past Friday night at Pasadena Veterans Memorial Stadium, the Atascocita Eagles, whose only loss came against Katy, took on the undefeated Dobie Longhorns in a game that amounted to being the 22-6A district championship game.

From the start of the game, the battle-tested Eagles flexed their district muscle as they led the game from wire to wire. They won 61-6 for their 23rd straight district win.

The Eagles got started scoring right away on their opening drive, and took just seven plays and a minute and a half to get into the end zone as T.J. Thomas scored from 17 yards out for a 7-0 lead.

It didn’t take long for Atascocita to get in the end zone again. After a three and out by Dobie, the Longhorns punt was taken by Taylen Blaylock, who returned it 47 yards for a touchdown to give the Eagles a 14-0 lead.

Later in the first quarter, another punt set up another Atascocita score, as Dobie muffed an Eagles punt which gave the Eagles a first and goal.

They quickly capitalized, as Brice Matthews threw a 9-yard touchdown to Darius Edmonds for a 21-0 Eagles advantage.

In the second quarter, the Eagles scored 27 more points, including a defensive score on a fumble return and two touchdowns by Landen King, and led 48-0 at halftime. The Longhorns went without a first down until the waning seconds of the first half.

In the second half, Atascocita got two more scores on a touchdown pass from Matthews to Dylan Robinson and a touchdown run from Quincy Thompson, sandwiched around Dobie’s only score of the night which came early in the fourth quarter.

Atascocita returns to Turner Stadium on Friday night to play Summer Creek.

Erich Eisenach
Author: Erich EisenachEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
I am proud to be this area’s Tribune Newspaper voice for Humble, Atascocita, Kingwood, Kingwood Park and Summer Creek High School athletics, a capacity I have served in since the fall of 2011. High school sports are something I have grown to love since I started in this position, watching young kids live out their dreams in competition throughout the area and throughout the state. My greatest thrill in this position was being on Floor Eight at NRG Stadium in December of 2016 when Atascocita High School qualified for the state football semifinals for the first time. Aside from reporting sports, I am a regular parishioner of St. Martha Catholic Church of Kingwood. I am also a two-time graduate of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s College of Journalism and Mass Communications, and am a proud, but realistic, Nebraska Cornhuskers supporter. I do root for Houston’s local sports teams, but the Huskers are my team forever.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location