In 10 of the last 11 Huffman-Hargrave Falcons football seasons, the Falcons have made the playoffs. But the one goal that has eluded them for a number of years was a district championship.

Friday night at Little Cypress-Mauriceville, the Falcons realized that goal and kept their undefeated season alive as they jumped out to a 28-0 lead early and cruised to a 34-14 victory.

The victory won Hargrave the 11-4A Division I district championship.

Hargrave started the scoring early, as their first drive of the game ended with an A.J. San Miguel 6-yard touchdown run to put them up 7-0.

San Miguel wasn’t done scoring, either, in fact he would see the end zone twice more before the quarter was over.

Later in the quarter, the Falcons got a key 21-yard pass from Justin Shively to Luke Thomas which set up a 4-yard San Miguel touchdown run to make it 14-0 with 4:18 left in the first.

On the next possession, it was the Hargrave defense that came up big as Noah Zamora picked off a short pass and returned it to the LCM 25 yardline.

Three plays later, San Miguel was in the end zone again, this time on a 17-yard run which put the Falcons up 21-0.

The Falcons would add one more touchdown in the first half on a 12-yard touchdown pass from Shively to Peyton Pierson; LCM came back to try to make it a game as they cut the lead to 28-14 at halftime.

They would score no more, however, and Huffman scored six more points in the second half to cap the scoring.

The Falcons will close the regular season on Friday night and look to cap a perfect regular season when they host Livingston at home.

Erich Eisenach
Author: Erich EisenachEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
I am proud to be this area’s Tribune Newspaper voice for Humble, Atascocita, Kingwood, Kingwood Park and Summer Creek High School athletics, a capacity I have served in since the fall of 2011. High school sports are something I have grown to love since I started in this position, watching young kids live out their dreams in competition throughout the area and throughout the state. My greatest thrill in this position was being on Floor Eight at NRG Stadium in December of 2016 when Atascocita High School qualified for the state football semifinals for the first time. Aside from reporting sports, I am a regular parishioner of St. Martha Catholic Church of Kingwood. I am also a two-time graduate of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s College of Journalism and Mass Communications, and am a proud, but realistic, Nebraska Cornhuskers supporter. I do root for Houston’s local sports teams, but the Huskers are my team forever.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location