Following a regular season which saw two area schools win a district title and one school go undefeated, the area teams will now prepare to compete in Texas high school football’s second season.

The playoffs are here and start this week.

The Huffman Hargrave Falcons and the Atascocita Eagles were the two district champions from the area for this year and went a combined 19-1 during the regular season.

Coach Mike McEachern’s Falcons had been to the playoffs 10 of the last 11 years, but the one thing that had eluded them for many years was a district championship.

In 2019, they finally reached that goal by going 10-0. They won all of their games by at least 13 points, scored at least 34 points in every game, and clinched their district championship in their second-to-last game against Little Cypress-Mauriceville.

Now, they enter the playoffs with a home game to begin their run in 4A Division I, where they will meet the Furr Brahmans on Thursday night.

The Atascocita Eagles were similarly impressive during the season, with their only loss coming to Katy in the second game of the year.

Since then, the Eagles have rolled to their third straight district championship, and they carry a 26-game district win streak. In those eight games since the Katy loss, the Eagles have scored at least 48 in every game, with opponents scoring no more than 14.

The Eagles begin the playoffs Friday night at Turner Stadium against the Deer Park Deer, who won their last four games to make the playoffs.

In addition, the Humble Wildcats qualified for the playoffs for the first time since 2011 with an 8-2 record. The Wildcats will begin the playoffs Saturday at Turner Stadium against C.E. King.

Also, the Kingwood Park Panthers made the playoffs in 5A with a 6-4 regular season record. The Panthers open the playoffs at Friendswood Friday night.

Erich Eisenach
Author: Erich EisenachEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
I am proud to be this area’s Tribune Newspaper voice for Humble, Atascocita, Kingwood, Kingwood Park and Summer Creek High School athletics, a capacity I have served in since the fall of 2011. High school sports are something I have grown to love since I started in this position, watching young kids live out their dreams in competition throughout the area and throughout the state. My greatest thrill in this position was being on Floor Eight at NRG Stadium in December of 2016 when Atascocita High School qualified for the state football semifinals for the first time. Aside from reporting sports, I am a regular parishioner of St. Martha Catholic Church of Kingwood. I am also a two-time graduate of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s College of Journalism and Mass Communications, and am a proud, but realistic, Nebraska Cornhuskers supporter. I do root for Houston’s local sports teams, but the Huskers are my team forever.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location