Coming into the 2019 Texas high school football season, the Humble Wildcats hadn’t been to the playoffs in eight years and hadn’t won a Texas high school playoff game in nine.

But on Saturday, in the final football game of the year at Turner Stadium, Humble not only had their return to the playoffs, but a return to the playoff win column with a 24-14 decision over CE King.

Though Humble got off to a shaky start with a turnover on their first possession, on the second possession the Wildcats hit paydirt with the first of two game-changing plays.

After getting a couple of first downs, Humble’s Dexter Wyble found Robert Williams III all alone for an 85-yard touchdown which put the Wildcats up 7-0.

Two possessions later, the Wildcats had the ball again after a Panthers’ fumble at their own 41 yardline. They then went 59 yards in seven plays to score.

The drive was capped by a Dontee’ McCray 7-yard touchdown run which put Humble up 14-0; that was the score after one quarter.

On the next CE King possession, the Panthers drove deep into Humble territory, only to see their drive snuffed out by an interception by Joel Davila.

Humble then took advantage once again, going 84 yards in five plays. The final play was a 57-yard touchdown pass to Williams which put Humble up 21-0 going into intermission.

However, the Panthers would not go away easily. In the third, they finally got on the board on a Malique Harris 2-yard touchdown run which cut the lead to 21-7.

Two possessions later, late in the fourth, the Panthers scored again with Bryson Washington capping a 53-yard drive with a 20-yard touchdown catch to make the score 21-14.

However, an Humble onside kick recovery and return deep into Panther territory set up Juan Escalante for a 34-yard field goal which sealed Humble’s win.

Humble next faces George Ranch this coming Saturday at the University of Houston’s TDECU Stadium.

Erich Eisenach
Author: Erich EisenachEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
I am proud to be this area’s Tribune Newspaper voice for Humble, Atascocita, Kingwood, Kingwood Park and Summer Creek High School athletics, a capacity I have served in since the fall of 2011. High school sports are something I have grown to love since I started in this position, watching young kids live out their dreams in competition throughout the area and throughout the state. My greatest thrill in this position was being on Floor Eight at NRG Stadium in December of 2016 when Atascocita High School qualified for the state football semifinals for the first time. Aside from reporting sports, I am a regular parishioner of St. Martha Catholic Church of Kingwood. I am also a two-time graduate of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s College of Journalism and Mass Communications, and am a proud, but realistic, Nebraska Cornhuskers supporter. I do root for Houston’s local sports teams, but the Huskers are my team forever.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location