It was standing room only as friends, family and fellow students gathered together Wednesday morning, Nov. 13 at the Bender Performing Arts Center in Humble to watch 30 student-athletes officially sign letters of intent to play with their selected colleges and universities.

Nov. 13 is one of the three National Signing Days held throughout the school year, and this is the eighth year that Humble ISD has participated in the celebratory events.

These students from four high schools in the district – Humble High School being the exception – took the stage, looking on with coaches and family as each athlete sat down at a table draped with the banner from their chosen school, framed by balloons in their new school colors.

As each student-athlete was recognized, Athletic Executive Director Troy Kite had some words of wisdom for the young women and men, “To much that is given, much is expected.”

Stepbrothers Nick Luckett and Masyn Winn with their mother, Tiffany Rawson, both pitch for the KHS baseball team. Their older sister, Jazmyn Johnson, signed to play basketball in college during the very first year of National Signing Day held by Humble ISD. Photos by Sarah Mertins

From Kingwood swim: Abigail Ahrens (Texas A&M), Emily Baggett (Trinity), Sophie Ebert (Navy), Serena Gould (Arkansas) and Victor Tremblay (Texas).

Kingwood baseball: Nick Luckett (Southern), Tre Richardson (Baylor) and Masyn Winn (Arkansas).

Kingwood softball: Madalyn Brewer (Kilgore College) and Ashley York (Colorado State).

Kingwood volleyball: Breanna Burrell (Northwestern State) and Rachel Easom (Coffeyville Community College). Kingwood golf: Damon Strydom (Arkansas).

Atascocita softball: Sarah Bledsoe (East Texas Baptist), Lesly Miranda (East Texas Baptist), Bailey Payne (Texas A&M Corpus Christi), Hannah Triplett (Navarro College) and Skylar Wilabay (East Texas Baptist University).

Atascocita baseball: Tyler Bryd (Texas A&M Corpus Christi), Matthew Linskey (Rice) and Brice Matthews (Nebraska).

Atascocita basketball: Elyssa Coleman (Texas) and Dylan Dawson (Texas State).

Atascocita soccer: Madison Melvin (Mary Hardin-Baylor).

Atascocita lacrosse: Avery Wagnon (Central Michigan).

Kingwood Park volleyball: Libby Overmyer (Colgate) and Alia Williams (LSU).

Kingwood Park swim: Lauren Ives (University of Missouri-St. Louis).

Kingwood Park softball: Abigayle Forrester (San Jacinto College).

Summer Creek basketball: Maliyah Johnson (Texas A&M).

“Signing to be a collegiate athlete reflects years of hard work, perseverance and good choices,” Humble ISD Superintendent Dr. Elizabeth Fagen said afterwards. “Today is a celebration of our student-athletes’ dedication and talent, as well as a special moment to acknowledge the incredible support they received from family, coaches, teachers and teammates along their journey. These top student-athletes demonstrate commitment to being the best in their sport, and our entire community could not be more proud of them and their success.”

Sarah Mertins
Author: Sarah MertinsEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Managing Editor
I grew up on a farm in New Mexico and miss eating hot chile and having four seasons. I didn't start college until I was already a mother and double majored in English and anthropology. I received an Honors B.A. from the University of Louisiana-Lafayette and was named “Outstanding Student” in English. My honors thesis is titled “The Enduring and Ever-Changing Legend of La Llorona.” I worked as a police reporter for a bit before staying home in Kingwood to raise my two daughters. My hobbies include reading, gardening, cooking and traveling.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location