Even though it was during the holiday school break, on Jan. 3 several hundred fans turned out to honor Kingwood High School’s legendary basketball coach Royce Huseman in a game halftime ceremony.

Humble ISD officially renamed the school’s basketball court in his name. The fans also saw a great basketball game that reflected his legacy.

Huseman coached the Mustangs for 32 years. He was head coach for 26 of those years. During his time as head coach, Huseman’s teams earned 632 wins, 10 district titles, three regional championships, and the 2005 state championship. His success was recognized statewide with the Texas High School Coach of the Year Award, the Houston Area Basketball Coaches Association of the Year Award in 2005 and 2007, and nine District Coach of the Year Awards. He retired from Humble ISD in 2017.

The ceremony occurred at halftime on the court floor with his name now inscribed on it in big flowing letters, surrounded by his family, former players and many coaches with whom he worked over those 32 years. It was an emotional moment as Huseman said, “This is a big honor and a privilege. Mr. Andy Wells, the principal here, had enough confidence in me to give me the opportunity to be head coach and I really appreciated that much loyalty. You fast forward 30 years later and I stand in the same gym where I started. I want to thank Troy and Rusty for making this happen.”

Troy Kite is athletic director for Humble ISD and Rusty Odom is the district’s multimedia operations coordinator; they were responsible for organizing the ceremony.

Huseman continued, “Over the years I have had so many good players and young men, just great character kids, who were easy to build a program around. One of the most gratifying things about being here as long as I was, was watching Kindergartners grow up and play for me and then years later be great young men and successful.”

He concluded his comments by recognizing those who had made it all possible. “You don’t build a program by yourself. I had a lot of great parents and coaches along the way. I deeply appreciate all of the hard work,” Huseman said.

Following the presentation of a plaque to him honoring his accomplishments, the Kingwood Mustangs continued to honor the former coach with a dominating second half of basketball and a final winning score of 71-56 over Pasadena High School.

Bruce Olson
Author: Bruce OlsonEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Columnist
I have been married since 1970 to Kerry, my best friend and a great Australian woman. I served and survived Vietnam in the U.S. Air Force. I fought forest fires in the summer while in college, where I earned a B.A. in economics from Oklahoma State University and an M.B.A. from the University of Texas. I retired from Continental Airlines. I have a son and two granddaughters in Kingwood, and a daughter and two grandsons on a farm near Mazabuka, Zambia. I am now enjoying life as a grandfather, Tribune correspondent and Humble ISD guest teacher when not traveling to Zambia or Australia.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location