The Summer Creek Bulldogs and Atascocita Eagles, both ranked in the top 10 of 6A boys basketball by the Texas Association of Basketball Coaches, have been two of the most consistent teams in the state all year.

This week, they both picked up key wins, continuing on an impending collision course for a key matchup Feb. 4.

The Bulldogs are the defending district champions with an undefeated run a year ago and currently are undefeated in District 22-6A, continuing that run with an 84-48 win over Dobie Friday night to go 8-0 in 22-6A play.

The Bulldogs started the scoring early Friday night as they jumped out to a 9-0 lead and eventually a 14-2 lead at the beginning of the game. Reyce Allen was key in this opening burst, as he scored seven of the Bulldogs’ first 14 points.

The first quarter was capped by a Steven Sawyer three pointer which made the score 25-10 after one.

In the second quarter, it was more of the same as the Bulldogs outscored Dobie 25-8. Summer Creek began the quarter with seven straight points and ended it with a 15-3 run which made the score 50-18 at halftime.

That run eventually became 24-3 as the Bulldogs scored nine straight points to begin the second half. Dobie climbed back a bit later in the period, but the score was 65-30 after three, and the Bulldogs outscored the Longhorns 19-18 with many of the reserves playing in the fourth.

Atascocita

The Eagles are in second place in the district, with their only district loss at home to Summer Creek (both teams have a win against the other one). Last week, they earned a hard fought 45-42 win over Kingwood and moved to 7-1 in district play.

This week, the Bulldogs take on Pasadena Friday night, while the Eagles take on Sam Rayburn on the road Tuesday and South Houston at home Friday.

Erich Eisenach
Author: Erich EisenachEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
I am proud to be this area’s Tribune Newspaper voice for Humble, Atascocita, Kingwood, Kingwood Park and Summer Creek High School athletics, a capacity I have served in since the fall of 2011. High school sports are something I have grown to love since I started in this position, watching young kids live out their dreams in competition throughout the area and throughout the state. My greatest thrill in this position was being on Floor Eight at NRG Stadium in December of 2016 when Atascocita High School qualified for the state football semifinals for the first time. Aside from reporting sports, I am a regular parishioner of St. Martha Catholic Church of Kingwood. I am also a two-time graduate of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s College of Journalism and Mass Communications, and am a proud, but realistic, Nebraska Cornhuskers supporter. I do root for Houston’s local sports teams, but the Huskers are my team forever.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location