The Atascocita Eagles and Summer Creek Bulldogs boys basketball teams had played two games against one another before last Tuesday night, with both teams winning one game each.

Needing a win in Tuesday night’s rubber match to keep their district title hopes alive, the Eagles saw Summer Creek jump out to a quick lead, and then rally back for a 61-54 win which ended the Bulldogs 27-game district win streak.

Playing without their point guard, Dylen Scales, the Bulldogs nonetheless jumped out to a 6-0 lead right out of the gate, with four of the points by Reyce Allen.

The teams traded baskets for the rest of the quarter, with Summer Creek leading 13-7 after one quarter.

But in the second quarter, the Eagles began to put their stamp on the game with an 18-5 run which was capped off by a Kaleb Stewart three pointer which put the Eagles up 23-18. At half, the Eagles led 25-24.

As it turned out, they wouldn’t trail again the rest of the contest.

In the third, they outscored the Bulldogs 13-6, and capped off the quarter with a three point play by Landen King. The Eagles led 38-30 after three quarters.

The Eagles continued to put the pressure on in the final period, eventually stretching the lead to as many as 12 points in the fourth quarter, 45-33, after a Dylan Dawson three point play.

The Bulldogs tried to rally throughout the quarter, and got as close as five points very late in the game after a three point play by Javon Jackson, but got no closer.

The Eagles win ended a day of streak breaking wins, as the Summer Creek girls ended Atascocita’s girls’ 49-game district win streak that day as well.

Atascocita’s win put them on top of the district, which is where they are now at 13-1, with Summer Creek at 12-1. The Eagles have two district games left; the Bulldogs three.

Erich Eisenach
Author: Erich EisenachEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
I am proud to be this area’s Tribune Newspaper voice for Humble, Atascocita, Kingwood, Kingwood Park and Summer Creek High School athletics, a capacity I have served in since the fall of 2011. High school sports are something I have grown to love since I started in this position, watching young kids live out their dreams in competition throughout the area and throughout the state. My greatest thrill in this position was being on Floor Eight at NRG Stadium in December of 2016 when Atascocita High School qualified for the state football semifinals for the first time. Aside from reporting sports, I am a regular parishioner of St. Martha Catholic Church of Kingwood. I am also a two-time graduate of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s College of Journalism and Mass Communications, and am a proud, but realistic, Nebraska Cornhuskers supporter. I do root for Houston’s local sports teams, but the Huskers are my team forever.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location