The Humble Civic Center was abuzz with excited students and proud families during a National Signing Day event held Wednesday morning, Feb. 12.

National Signing Day events have been held by Humble ISD since 2012, with more than 800 student athletes making a commitment to play at the college level while continuing their education. On this particular day, 41 athletes shared the momentous next step with their fellow students, coaches, teachers and families.

As Athletic Director Troy Kite noted, “We celebrate this together. We celebrate that athletes know how to work together, they celebrate both success and failure. When they are down, someone in this room has brought them back up. Congratulations to all of the athletes and all of the people in this room that helped make their successes possible.”

After a moment of silence to observe the passing of long-time employee Brenda Prothe, who worked in the athletic department office, and other losses those in attendance may be currently experiencing, Kite concluded his remarks by once again emphasizing that the athletes were successful due to a concerted team effort.

“It really is a group effort of the students, coaches and family,” he said. “I am a big believer that it truly takes a village to raise an athlete.

“To whom much is given, much is expected,” Kite concluded before introducing the student athletes, their parents, their coaches and their school of choice.

From Atascocita High School: Hannah Bailey, volleyball, Hendrix College; Jer'Marques Bailey, football, New Mexico State University; Lona Bailey (Hannah’s twin sister; this is only the third time in the district’s history where twins signed), volleyball, Chatham University; Madelynn Bernabe, softball, Southwestern Assemblies of God University; Taylen Blaylock, football, Sam Houston State University; Anthony Bobb, football, Texas Wesleyan University; Devyn Brooks, football, Navarro Junior College; Amaya Brown, volleyball, Arizona Christian University; Davis Carr, baseball, Eastern Oklahoma State College; Luke Farias, baseball, Richland College; Ernest Ferrier, III, football, Bethel College; Ashlynne Fitzgerald, volleyball, University of St. Thomas; Tristen Hickman, football, Blinn Jr. College; Will Jones, football, Sam Houston State University; Zaire Miles, volleyball, Eastfield Community College; Avery Morris, football, University of Texas-San Antonio; Daniel Onwuachi, football, Navarro Junior College; Leonard Randolph, football, Angelo State University; Alyssandra Sanchez, soccer, University of St. Thomas; David Tuihalangingie, football, Snow College; and Jaelyn Williams, volleyball, Central State University.

From Humble High School: Da'Marcus Crosby, II, football, Kilgore Junior College; and LeAndria Jackson, volleyball, Wiley College.

Kingwood High School: Ty Nicar, golf, Rogers State University; Grant Wall, football; West Texas A&M University; Daniela Wisniewski, cross country and track, Texas State University; Chloe Brown, soccer, Baylor University; Rachel James, cross country and track, Louisiana State University; and Thomas Sutter, football, Hardin-Simmons University.

From Kingwood Park High School: Jacob Allen, track, University of Arizona; Brooke Baldon, soccer; Northeastern State University; Jackie Sandquist; lacrosse/wrestling, Gannon University; Tyler Scott, swim, Southwestern University; Madison Taylor, lacrosse, Birmingham Southern College; and Mia Wehby, soccer, University of Arkansas.

From Summer Creek High School: Reggie Black, track and field, Grandview University; Devion Hargrove, football, Houston Baptist University; Sean-Krystoff King, football, Texas A&M University-Commerce; Mykayla Mims, cross country and track, Lamar University; Bryce Washington, lacrosse, University of Michigan-Dearborn; and Mailyn Wilkerson, basketball, Trinity Valley Community College.

Congratulations to all of these student athletes on your hard work, dedication and success; best of luck to them all in their future endeavors!

Sarah Mertins
Author: Sarah MertinsEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Managing Editor
I grew up on a farm in New Mexico and miss eating hot chile and having four seasons. I didn't start college until I was already a mother and double majored in English and anthropology. I received an Honors B.A. from the University of Louisiana-Lafayette and was named “Outstanding Student” in English. My honors thesis is titled “The Enduring and Ever-Changing Legend of La Llorona.” I worked as a police reporter for a bit before staying home in Kingwood to raise my two daughters. My hobbies include reading, gardening, cooking and traveling.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location