For the first time in their school’s history, the Summer Creek boys basketball team reached the regional semifinals of the Texas high school basketball tournament.

But unfortunately for the Bulldogs, that’s also where their journey ended.

Against the Bellaire Cardinals, who were able to control the pace of the game throughout, the Bulldogs saw a game-winning, three-point attempt rim in and out at the final horn, giving Bellaire a 61-59 win which sent them to the regional finals.

From the very beginning of the game, the Cardinals, with their deliberately paced offense, had the Bulldogs off schedule. 

They took an early 5-1 lead and even though the Bulldogs responded with eight straight points and led at the end of the first quarter 11-9, the tenor of the game belonged to Bellaire.

This continued into the second quarter, as led by Jaylon Calvin, the Cardinals took the lead before halftime. A late three-pointer cut the Cardinals lead to one, 26-25 at halftime.

In the third quarter, the Bulldogs got their running game going a bit more, as they had by far their highest scoring quarter of the game. 

They scored 21 points, but still they were not able to shake the pesky Cardinals, who played them even in the quarter. The score was tied at 46 after three.

But in the fourth quarter, Bellaire regained command of the pace of the game and took the lead as well as they used an 8-0 run to take a 54-48 lead.

But the Bulldogs would not go quietly. They eventually sliced the lead to one, 59-58, and eventually had two free throws down two with a chance to tie the game. The first free throw was good, but the second was not.

Still, the Bulldogs ended up with one last shot with just over a second to play down two.

The final shot, from near half court, was on target but rimmed out at the buzzer.

The Bulldogs now will look to 2020-21; though they lose Dylen Scales, the Bulldogs will bring back talented players such as Javon Jackson, who led Creek in scoring in Friday’s game.

Erich Eisenach
Author: Erich EisenachEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
I am proud to be this area’s Tribune Newspaper voice for Humble, Atascocita, Kingwood, Kingwood Park and Summer Creek High School athletics, a capacity I have served in since the fall of 2011. High school sports are something I have grown to love since I started in this position, watching young kids live out their dreams in competition throughout the area and throughout the state. My greatest thrill in this position was being on Floor Eight at NRG Stadium in December of 2016 when Atascocita High School qualified for the state football semifinals for the first time. Aside from reporting sports, I am a regular parishioner of St. Martha Catholic Church of Kingwood. I am also a two-time graduate of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s College of Journalism and Mass Communications, and am a proud, but realistic, Nebraska Cornhuskers supporter. I do root for Houston’s local sports teams, but the Huskers are my team forever.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location