Hargrave High School Head Coach Scott Barrett was named Coach of the Year for District 21-4A for the fifth time in his eight years as head coach. The Digital Audio Technology teacher and coach has been with the district a total of nine years.

“It’s a great feeling to be recognized by the other coaches that you respect and compete against,” Barrett said. 

According to Barrett, the best part of coaching his team is “being around young people and helping them realize the things that they are capable of and helping them reach their goals.”

Barrett led the Falcons to an undefeated district season this school year with a record of 10-0, and an overall record this season of 30-4. 

In addition to extracting the skills and tenacity to win, Barrett said he aims to teach the team “how to be productive citizens” in their community. But he isn’t the only teacher. Barrett shared that the students also teach him some things.

“They definitely humble me,” Barrett said. “I also feel like we have the kind of relationships with our kids that they can speak their minds to us and feel comfortable in doing so. A lot of success that we have had is our kids buying into what we have been selling for all these years.”

According to Barrett, Assistant Coach Jack Sizemore and the administration play major roles in the team’s success. “My assistant coach that has been with me for the past six years [and I] have done a lot together and push each other to continue to get better,” Barrett said. “We hit 200 wins this year. He has been with me for a 150 or so. Our administration in Huffman is second to none. They realize what it takes to be successful and give you the tools to do so.”

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location